Knives #7 Finished - Gifts for my Sisters

Erin Burke

After a long delay, I finally finished Knife #7... well, actually Knives #7 (plural). Some of my sisters have been requesting that I make them knives, so this is what I came up with.

Stats
Length: 4-7/8"
Blade: 2" (cutting edge)
Steel: 1/8" 1080 (from Kelly Cupples)
Clay-Treated w/ hamon, Hollow-Ground w/ tapered-tang
Handle: Desert Ironwood w/ 416ss bolsters and pins

4084772898_b843d596f4_o.jpg

4084773042_939a74e799_o.jpg

4084773200_07cc08173e_o.jpg

4084014551_437ec11256_o.jpg

I have four sisters. The four knives with the lighter Desert Ironwood are each stenciled with one of their nick-names on the presentation side. On the back side is my maker's mark. The fifth knife - the one with the dark ironwood scales - was my extra... just in case I screwed on of the other ones up. Once it appeared that they'd all finish up OK, I decided to give the darker wood a try and figured I'd keep it for myself :D.

I don't suppose that I can give them as gifts until I get some sheaths made - I still haven't made a single sheath :eek: - but I'll save that for another thread.

If you are interested, you can see the original WIP thread HERE on BF.

Let me know what you think.

Erin

Erin they look really great. Your sisters are gonna love them . Are those nick names stamped in there? Great work.

Very nice. You area better brother than me, I have three sisters and I haven't made thhem one yet. Great looking work.

Those are all good looking knives!! I am sure that your sisters will be very happy.

Erin they look really great. Your sisters are gonna love them . Are those nick names stamped in there? Great work.

Thanks ChipI... the names are etched in. I had Ernie make-up some custom stencils and used my homemade Crawford etcher.

Very nice. You area better brother than me, I have three sisters and I haven't made thhem one yet. Great looking work.

James, I told myself that I would complete ten knives before I would even consider selling one. I had just finished #6 and decided that I might as well give the next ones away as gifts if I wasn't going to sell them. Just so happened that Knife #7 morphed into five knives. Knife #8 looks like it is going to end up being triplets (my wife's brothers):D.

very nice, i know the feeling about the sheathes i am in the same boat

That's hilarious. I spent all this time gathering the equipment and working on the skills required to make passable knives only to realize that they're kinda awkward to carry around without a sheath. Putting one of these in your pocket could convert you from a Gentile to a Jew in a hurry.:eek:

Erin

Back