couple of Qs fitting this category perfectly!

SHOKR

hey guys
1 i have great trouble resharpening because i have hard time determining and getting back to the right bevel angle (i do sharpening free hand), is there a trick or way to get it right directly without trial and error and ending up with several different bevels on the edge alone? (speaking of course on resharpening using the grinder)

2 my 'manual' sharpener is spyderco's tri angle, same problem goes when using it, because i have trouble determining the angle and its set to use with 40 & 30 degrees

3 i just finished a knife yesterday, my first double edge, sharpened the main edge fine but trouble came with the swedge.
A its curved upwards, B the belt i used was not even at the sides, so kept 'wobbling' which created more trouble. so after ruining it a bit i decided i will get it as thin as possible then continue on the sharpener.
not only did the sharpener get it more dull than it was, while using it thos happened
20130326_113621.jpg

the other side is about the same
any thoughts on how to fix this and do a better job sharpening?
my current plan is cover the main bevel with tape, sand this then resharpen with grinder, anything better or advise on techniques?

thanks

Last edited:
Shokr,
I don't use a jig and sharpen by eye and feel on grinder flat platten, repeating a mental picture of blade angle while running down-facing edge across belt, and alternating side to side, doing 3 passes to one side then 3 the other until get the bevel I want, repeating to 800 grit so bevel finish matches blade. The final edge is achieved on the buffer which takes off wire edge and makes it 'shavin' sharp'.
On your swedge, it looks like you did a chisel grind and got down to primary bevel and scuffed it some. I use a secondary angle on swedges usually, though it's done successfully both ways. Maybe could repolish swedge and put the secondary bevel on it, but could repolish to the same angle as swedge too.
My 2 cents, how this helps some-

thanks Ausbrooks

the swedge is V ground, then established the second bevel, i already cleaned it, but no sharpening yet, i forgot even...

thanks for the tips!

Shokr,
And I sharpen on a slack belt on my 2 x 72" and have the edge up. A 60 grit to establish the bevel, A 120 G super flex J weight to sharpen, Then a 600 G super flex to finish the edge or a 9 micon to finish the edge on Japanese type culinary knives.

There really isn't a right way to do it. Find what works for you?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I guess youre right Laurence :)

My main problem was the angles, but i guess i know how to reach carnegie hall now ;)

Back