Interested in spalting your own wood?

akey

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I thought I would share. I am sure some of you guys have spalted your own wood before but I have not and have been researching it. I ran across a professor at an Oregon university who has a ton of info on spalting. She has a site northernspalting.com and a blog at http://www.finewoodworking.com//blog/woodworking-life/tag/spalting. She has some pamphlets she will email you that detail exactly what steps to take. The pamphlets are free but she does want to email them to people directly as she has some issues with plagiarizing. She is very helpful as well. You can even email her pictures of fungi you find in the woods and she will tell you if it would be a good one to use or not. For you guys that live in the Northeast it appears there are spalting workshops you can attend as well. Just thought I would pass the info along as her stuff has been a great source of knowledge for me.

I didnt know people looked at spalting wood scientifically. I just thought it was a natural process that was kind of hit or miss.
I do enjoy me some spalted wood though.
Thanks for the info.

I spent a couple years experimenting with trying to spalt wood. I even go by the name Spalted on other forums. I had some turn out real nice but also ruined some good logs. There was something I didnt think about when I started, keeping a lot of logs laying around is a magnet for snakes. During my second year of experiments I killed over 20 snakes in my yard, I even had a couple fall from the ceiling of my shop while I was in there. And to say my wife is terrified of snakes would be a HUGE understatement so my spalting days ended

I spent a couple years experimenting with trying to spalt wood. I even go by the name Spalted on other forums. I had some turn out real nice but also ruined some good logs. There was something I didnt think about when I started, keeping a lot of logs laying around is a magnet for snakes. During my second year of experiments I killed over 20 snakes in my yard, I even had a couple fall from the ceiling of my shop while I was in there. And to say my wife is terrified of snakes would be a HUGE understatement so my spalting days ended

Yikes. Not a huge fan of snakes. I live on a lake so we see them pretty regular. Judging by the pics in her pamphlets this is more like cutting bowl blanks and scales and putting them in plastic tubs to spalt.

Back