The Great Bruce Bump File Guide Give Away Contest!

Well That's enough about my pain & trauma, Lets get back to the knife for our winner Aaron.

So I epoxied up the handle and then let it cure overnight. I switched to the West System G/flex epoxy that Bossdogs sells about one year ago and have been very pleased with it.

I sand down & sculpt the scales starting with a Hermes 40 G A/O Y weight belt then to a 120G Superflex to really contour the scales then to a 600 superflex then some hand sanding at 600 and then 1000 grit before I go to the buffer and load it up with Fabulustor white rouge and then It's time to put the final edge on the knife.DSCN1319.jpgI stuck in a picture of my Flagship grinder, My Hardcore Products 1 1/2 HP Variable, She is one smooth machine!DSCN1354.jpgDSCN1347.jpgDSCN1353.jpgDSCN1358.jpg

The final edge is done by first cutting in the final edge bevel with a used 60 g ceramic X weight then a used 120 G X-weight then a new 120G superflex Then a 3M 9 micron finishing belt for a mirror edge, Then back to the buffer with Fabuluster white rough. Add my Rhino logo and we are good to go!DSCN1359.jpgDSCN1362.jpg

In the last pic you can see the slight distal taper in the blade as well as the yellow liners I put in for a splash of color to go with the Bocote scales and the mosaic pin.

This one is ready to pack up for it's trip to Aarons house.

Thanks everyone for following alone. This was my first WIP and it was FUN!

Any questions? Feel free to ask as I may have omitted many steps?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
Blood, stitches, scars, surgery talk. It's the perfect WIP for your first one. Oh the knife turned out great too!

The eagle has landed! Got home from work today and it's Christmas in March. Thanks again Laurence for the BEAUTIFUL knife and Bruce for picking my contest entry. Could not ask for a warmer welcome to the forum! :1:

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic!

photod.jpg

Man Thats a nice knife for the kitchen. Just in time for BBQ season.
Guys I really enjoyed this thread. Lauence thanks for all you did to make it succesful and Aaron thanks for participating. Thanks go to everybody that tuned in and played, I,m sad to see it winding down.

I will definitely update this thread when I get a chance to really use it. It IS a beautiful knife but I have never owned something just to have so it will get some heavy use. Right now we are at DEFCON 1 on the delivery of my son so I might by a few days from posting some in use pics and thoughts. Me and my family grill 3 or 4 times a week during all seasons except Winter so I will keep the thread alive with some pics of it slicing up some good groceries.

Congratulations Aaron, and thanks Laurence and Bruce! This was a great WIP, and I too am pleased that Laurence worked through the pain to get this project finished. Way to go guys! :57:

I will definitely update this thread when I get a chance to really use it. It IS a beautiful knife but I have never owned something just to have so it will get some heavy use. Right now we are at DEFCON 1 on the delivery of my son so I might by a few days from posting some in use pics and thoughts. Me and my family grill 3 or 4 times a week during all seasons except Winter so I will keep the thread alive with some pics of it slicing up some good groceries.

Double congrats!
To you and your wife Aaron.
Keep us posted on this important arrival of Aaron Jr.!!!:35:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Congratulations Aaron, and thanks Laurence and Bruce! This was a great WIP, and I too am pleased that Laurence worked through the pain to get this project finished. Way to go guys! :57:

hello Dave,
Well it's all in a days work! Or a few days!:biggrin: Depending?
I have a few more of these little guys coming up, It seems others have gain interest from this post. I have one with some beautiful Ash wood and I have a new design of a spear point belt knife based on this same 5" bladed pattern with a speacial handle material.
It will be my Darth Maul carry knife.
More soon!:shush:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back