Not your typical bushcraft knife

Stormcrow

I was contacted by a fellow who runs a school focusing on preparedness/bushcraft/survival. He wanted a knife to carry in general and to use in his classes. He liked a previous knife I had done, and I took that as the starting point for his. He sent me a sketch for the sheath setup he wanted, which I handed over to my sheathmaker. It had several new aspects for my sheathmaker, but the customer was well pleased with the outcome and commented that it looked like the sheathmaker had made hundreds of 'em. :)

The blade is around 6" long, forged from 3/4" 5160 round bar, and given my typical triple normalized, triple hardened, triple tempered heat treatment. The handle is wrapped in paracord impregnated with Minwax Wood Hardener, with a grayish green cord for the underlay and black for the overlay and two-strand Turk's head knot. The edge shaves hair, of course. :)

blackthorn05_zps9533d271.jpg

The sheath features a retention strap with a snap, brass D-ring dangler belt loop, and brass flared tube rivet attachment points, as well as a fire rod loop.

blackthorn06_zps58e46d3b.jpg

And some texturing to go with the forge finish.

blackthorn07_zpsa4f48f3a.jpg

It seems like most bushcraft knives are around 4" and scandi ground with fairly gentle spear points. This is a full flat bevel with a sharper point.

blackthorn04_zpsa91fa601.jpg

It's light in spite of its stout spine. The spine is around 1/4" with a distal taper. The balance point is just in front of the Turk's head knot.

blackthorn03_zps9da55ae0.jpg

Thank y'all!

He gave it its initial testing and it did well. I'm going to see if I can put up the pics he took in the next little bit.

Franklin - It's not too big a thing, just a matter of anchoring each layer with your fingers while you work and pulling things tight and adjusting as you go. I'm no good with braiding and knots, so if I can get it, it's pretty darn simple. :)

The customer, Dave Carlson of Blackthorn-USA (Blackthorn-USA.com) gave the knife its first testing. The words and pics are his:

"It was about 28 degrees when we hit camp this morning. Needed a fire so the new knife got its first taste of the outdoors. And liked it.

It preformed very well. From delicate cutting required for feather sticks to batoning through a very knotty piece of oak it excelled at the task. And of course remained very sharp. Only one thing comes to mind that I'd ask to have done differently in the future. I’d have the makers mark stamped on the other side of the blade so people in front of me could see it when I’m using it in my right hand. Of course I didn't think of that until I had it in hand. Absolutey great knife in every regard.

The sheath is also excellent, in quality as well as use. I wore it on my left side today so as not to interfere with my handgun. Cross draw for right handed use was easily accessible. The D ring made it nice in that the sheath could pivot up when sitting in a vehicle.

Great knife and sheath! Everyone should have two or three of these. Ok, more pics :

Blackthorn-USAHelmAA_zpse98aefc5.jpg

Blackthorn-USAHelmA_zps660276fe.jpg

Blackthorn-USAHelmB_zps90df1006.jpg

Blackthorn-USAHelmC_zpse07de55c.jpg

Blackthorn-USAHelmD_zps209a0f01.jpg

Blackthorn-USAHelmE_zps3120e0df.jpg

Blackthorn-USAHelmF_zps1816309f.jpg
"

Back