blackened steel

Shokr
I have had the same issue with a 52100 paring knife with not only blackening the blade (and the strawberries) but put off a rotten egg odor.
As said above, some steels have their good and bad qualities. Having said that, for a larger protien type knife, I still love 52100!

God Bless
Mike

Thanks Mike

Yeah i noticed the smell, it lasts quite a bit too.
I guess i'll have to do with what i have :)

Guys,
About every other month or so I will have a Old family Heirloom carbon steel knife come in for reconditioning. I can tell when I look at the years of black crud & rust on the blade about how bad it will smell getting all of the crud off of it. This is with my resperator too! Sometimes when I look at them I almost want to pass on doing the job. LOL

I will ask if this is their only one like this. LOL I still do them to build customers unless the knife is too ground away to function anymore but someday I hope to be able to say that the cost I will have to charge exceeds the value and wouldn't they like to buy a nice new quality stainless steel kitchen knife and they can frame grandma's old knife and hang it on the wall.

I'm with Bro.Hatcher,I like them all.I personally like a patina on My kitchen Knives,seems like they have a personality that adapts to the user ,and the blade is always changing in color depending on what You are cutting.

I'm with Bro.Hatcher,I like them all.I personally like a patina on My kitchen Knives,seems like they have a personality that adapts to the user ,and the blade is always changing in color depending on what You are cutting.

Faron, You and Bro Hatcher are not the norm in several ways! LOL Granted people have been cooking food with carbon for at least the last thousand and years stainless steel has now been around for four generations and the masses have completely lost the knowledge to care for pretty much anything made of a carbon steel.

Besides I think you guys are really just sharpening junkies and love to spend time on the stones! :3:

I made a very nice turkey carver with Hamon out of 1075. About two slices into the bird/ham/brother-in-law/whatever other acidic matter, the blade heavily patinas. The first time this happened I almost died as I thought it was ruined. A light rubdown with 'Mothers Metal Polish' brought it right back to life. I did a care and maintenance write up for the knife for the new owner so they would know what to expect during use and how to clean and maintain the blade.

Back