Linerless Blue G10 Slip joint

Cubane

Here is a new shadow pattern slip joint I finished this morning. It has been a long time since I finished off a knife but this one has a few improvements since the last ones I made. I now have a rise/fall indicator to measure how the spring sits in the open/closed/half stop positions. I now mill some clearance on the liners so my stamp doesn't get all scratched up. I am now using bushings in my pivots as well for a smoother action. I am also using the milling machine to do the nail nicks as well so they are a lot straighter.

Blade and Spring: 3/32 O1 Steel
Scales: Blue G10
Pins and tube: Stainless
Open: 168mm (6 5/8")
Closed: 94mm (3 5/8")
Edge: 65mm (2 1/2")

Hand rubbed satin finish
Flat ground
Half stop
Milled Liners

Hope you enjoyed looking.

Alistair

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

Yeah man, that's a nice knife. Did you mill the nail nick with an end mill? I really like this, very nice work.

Yeah man, that's a nice knife. Did you mill the nail nick with an end mill? I really like this, very nice work.

I did the nail nick with a dremel cut off wheel mounted in the mill. That is the one last thing I really need to fix. I am going to switch cutoff wheel for now though. That nail nick is too narrow so I am going to use thicker cutoff wheels for the next one.

Alistair

That looks really clean. This has given me an idea. I'm working on my first slipjoint now (sort of) and think I'm going to get a small ball end mill to cut the nail nick with. Anyone have experience that contradicts that idea? Another possibility is just making a Scagel-like slot, but that's kind of been overdone.

That looks really clean. This has given me an idea. I'm working on my first slipjoint now (sort of) and think I'm going to get a small ball end mill to cut the nail nick with. Anyone have experience that contradicts that idea? Another possibility is just making a Scagel-like slot, but that's kind of been overdone.
I think I would try a flat end mill bit on some scrap, Dave.

I don't have a mill but I sure have a pile of mill end bits. I scooped them and a bushell basket of tools a while back, for $20 at a yard sale. I would be glad to send ya what you need, seeing as how I hardly use them and you being such a gentleman and would sure do them justice.

John, you've already given me more stuff than any human being alive! :D But sure! I'm thinking 1/16" or maybe 3/64" ball end mill. Got anything like that? I'll send you email too brother. You are the most generous soul I know.

Shucks, that was stuff I had piled up here for a long time, Dave. I should thank you for taking it off my hands!
Let me check what I have out there in the clutter. I keep all those mill end bits in a proper place so they don't beat up each other.

I also have a big granite or marble instrument table you are welcome to. It's heavy, takes two men to carry each of the three easy to bolt together sections. It's sitting outside the shop because I don't have room (12'X12') for it. I'll see if I can take a picture of it and send it to you.
Hee hee, I'm gonna load ya down with junk again! I can mail the end bits, but the table,...................................... . I can save it until I get up your way, Dave. I'm overdue for a trip your way, anyhow. It's pretty much a pickup truck thing, to haul it anywhere. I had, if I remember, 4 of them when I got them.

P;S., I have a lot of very nice shrapnel for you to play with, too. It's copper, steel, and some of what looks like brass. I have a customer that wants some inlayed into a handle of a hunter I'm building for him.

How much room you still have in your shop?

Last edited:
WOW! I bet I'm making these other guys jealous as all getout! :D

John our house is always open to you, pickup full of goodies or just a big appetite. ;) It'd be fantastic to see you again man. That granite table sounds absolutely killer.

Back