Craftsman 2x42 belt sander mod ideas

thanks lagrange but I need to get a better grinder to have a more reliable set-up i mean I wish i could find a used craftsman 1hp 3 wheeled model then I would use that but I cant I am just worried what machine will be better for file knives, cause those are all the knives I make and the craftsman barely does it. That's why it is either a coote or a grizzly. Cause I really like the 2 wheeled designs and like to flat grind so idk.

I like and respect Laurence, but I have to disagree, sorta. I agree that the Grizzly isn't worth the extra money you'd spend over a Craftsman, and that neither are as good as even something as basic as a Coote, which is pretty basic. But the last time I checked the Craftsman was $100 or so, and Cootes are more like $600. That isn't just "a bit more." Get the Craftsman now and save for a KMG or similar later.

I delayed making knives for many many years because I thought I couldn't afford the equipment. Once my brother started making good (actually they were crappy compared to what we both do now, but they were still good to us then) knives on a $100 machine, I realized that I was wrong. I spend about $400 on a machine, belts, steel, materials, even an anvil ($75 for a Peter Wright on craigslist--still proud of that!) and got started. I scrapped 6 of my first 7 attempts. After that I started selling them, priced acording to my place in the market (meaning less than $100) and paid back my equipment and supplies in the first 2 months. I wouldn't have started making knives at all if I'd had to spring for something that cost more than the Craftsman did. I made 100 knives with it, and then got an ancient Bader BII. I reinvested my knife money into my knife hobby, and now have a great knife shop, fully funded by it's own proceeds, with more to come.

There are faster ways to get a nice knife shop than the careful cashflow management way I took (marrying rich, for example). I've been at this for 3 years, and I still have a long list of stuff to acquire, but it can be done with patience and dedication. Get what you can afford, and build up from there.

This is the best advice you've gotten on this subject IMHO. The only advantage the Griz has over the Craftsman is that it's a 2x72. Not enough advantage in my book to justify the couple hundred more you'll pay for it. I'm not sure what problems you're having with the 2x42 because I've ground stuff up to 3/16ths. While it isn't ideal, it is manageable with practice and my Craftsman has been more than reliable.

I have a Wilmont LB-1000 waiting to be put together. I've had it about a month or so. The reason that it's not put together now is that the Craftsman is still churning out knives. I've done all the mods to mine that you'll find on YouTube and it will work fine for what you want and you can save quite a bit of money that you can apply to getting a bigger/better machine with serious advantages other than the belt size!

Building on what you have is half the fun of this hobby. I seriously understand your frustration because when I started, I had the same worries about the Craftsman and I really wanted a bigger grinder (don't we all?). But the Craftsman was what I could afford at the time. Now a little more than a year and around 40 knives and numerous other projects, the Craftsman has proven itself and now I worry about other problems that I think are important but really aren't ;).

okay I agree but one quick question about a grinder i saw called the jet 2x42 3/4 hp belt sander, if that would work better that what i got now or just stick with it.

I prefer the Jet name over craftsman these days. I am not familiar with the model but it sounds like a possibility?
You are getting 1/2hp more.

about 20-30 years Craftsman had excellent tools and people that knew what they were selling.
Not anymore, Last time I was in Sears about 2 years the young lady at the tool counter didn't know how to look something up in their own catalog, I had to show her who to find a product.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Ok thank you guys for all the good ideas and info, so my last question would be is what grinder would work for me at a $400-500 range that has 2 wheel design and will grind file knives better that a craftsman 2x42? a coote, grizzly 2x72, a jet 2x42 sander or any other ones that I don't know of.

Back