divit

v-6

When I polish a blade i take it up to 1200, and it looks great.So i thought i would try using just belts and when i got to 800 which i thing
is x65 i get a divot and this is with a new belt on a new platen . So i need some help on this so i don't do it again.
thanks for looken and thanks for any help.
vern (v-6)

Two things come to mind. First, while there are varying grit standards, I think X65 is generally closer to about 220g.

Second is a question. Is your 'divot' about 2" from your plunge grind?

Rob!

Like Rob said it is very easy to allow your blade to ride up the plunge causing two points of contact on the blade. One point at the plunge and the other 2" back from the plunge, rapidly cutting a groove.

Exactly what I suspected.... I experienced the same thing when I started out making knives. I had to be conscious of the way I was holding and moving the blade as I ground. I found that I was transitioning the blade from one side to the other just prior to moving it which caused a slight groove to begin. You notice it more during finish sanding because of the reflective properties of the blade. Carefully monitor your grinding between passes. A steady hand and even pressure are the key.
Some of my brothers here may have differing advice. These guys are some of the best so take heed to their advice....they've never steered me wrong.
Good luck!

Also, make sure that you don't let the blade ride up over the top edge or a corner of the platen. It can make a line that will have to be ground out.

Doug

I rounded the shoulders on my flat platen to also help with the two inch divit.

I also feather and roll the edges of all my belts with a ceramic rod for this same reason.

Keep at it.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back