WIP - Liner lock from my own design

BRad704

This isn't really my "first" liner lock, because I previously built a USAKM Chow Chow (that I still have in my EDC rotation). But this is the first of my own design from start to where I am now.

Began with only a paper idea of what I generally wanted, some 0.071" Ti from Boss and 1084 from Aldo.

This Ti cut like butter with a 14t blade on my 12" Craftsman bandsaw. I was REALLY nervous about cutting it, but it went very well.
If you use your bandsaw to cut wood also, VACUUM OUT THE DUST before cutting the Ti. This stuff has VERY hot sparks and you could end up with a fire inside your saw or on the floor.
gm1.jpg

I don't have any pics of the cutting out and shaping, pretty standard stuff, and I got really excited during the process (so no time to get the camera out. LOL)
gm2.jpg

I did make sure to superglue my liners together while drilling all the holes. Not so much to keep the edges of the liner aligned, but to keep the holes aligned in relation to each other.
gm3.jpg

I used my bandsaw again to cut the lock face, which I won't do again. it ended up a little crooked, which won't affect the locking, becuase I cleaned up that face anyway. The main line of the lock bar was cut by putting my Dremel HD cut off wheel arbor in my drill press (running on High). The liner was clamped firmly in my small vice, so I could slide it back and forth on the drill press platform. It took me 3 of the heavy duty (maroon, non reinforced) cut off wheels and it was a VERY dusty little operation.
gm4.jpg

Heat Treating the 1084. My little 1 brick forge running full-tilt. :)
lights in the shop were only turned off for the dramatic effect...
gm5.jpg

Drilling the holes through scale material.
gm6.jpg

Scales cut to shape and lightly rounded. Thickest part of the scale is only about 0.14", so I didn't need to do too much sculpting.
gm7.jpg
gm8.jpg
gm9.jpg

If you look closely, you can see my detent hole in the blade, just above the scale. On the next iteration of this knife, I will bring the scales up about 1/8" further to cover this.
gm10.jpg

Right now, the blade is in the oven tempering. Actually... brb... need to get it out in about 2 minutes. :)

Going to grind after HT on this one (for the first time). The grind will be a right handed chisel grind and will get a convex edge.

Finished up last night, and did the lanyard and sharpened this morning.

For high carbon steels, I have found that warm, super-saturated salt water really works the best on the etch.
20121011_133142.jpg

A little clean up and voila! :)
20121011_133359.jpg

Hand tapping for the 2-56 screws that will hold the pocket clip. I was very excited to finish 3 holes in 0.071" titanium and NOT break my tap!
20121011_203115.jpg

Showing the extra length on the screws that had to be ground off. I got them "close" on the grinder, then took the screws out and put them in a plate that I have tapped for 2-56. That way I could get them trimmed to length without touching my liner to the grinder.
20121011_205406.jpg

Lanyard and pocket clip all finished! I've got a cache of skulls that are hand carved from bone, got them in NOLA last time I was there. Lil' bit'a voodoo in every one. MWWUUUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA
20121012_073843.jpg
20121012_074507.jpg

gm13.jpg

gm12.jpg

Attachments

• gm11.jpg
    gm11.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 87
  • gm14.jpg
    gm14.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Couple of final pics of the blade...

Flat righthand chisel grind with convex edge. Based on my math, the angle of the actual bevel should be 14-degrees...

20121012_074632.jpg20121012_074731.jpg20121012_074754.jpg

Nice looking knife Brad! A liner lock is on my hit list of projects. What thickness was the blade?

Back