Kirinite Pepper Jade bowie WIP

Thanks Laurence, this shop has been my dream for 30yrs. It's part of a pole barn I started before I ran out of work and had to retire. Still working on it.
There's a mess you just don't see it, kinda like scratches, it keeps coming back.

Boss, I'll keep trying, some Loveless style blades waiting to be finished that solder will be good on.

I found it!
I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Went to welding supply that sells Lincoln products.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg103.jpg

If the flux turns dark brown, it's burnt and you will need to clean it off and start again.
(Learned that the hard way)

Thanks for the tip Boss. I have been using a heat gun so things happen slowly.

I did have success today, same procedure as before but with the Stay Bright kit.
Flowed as it should.

Removed scratches and created new ones in preparation for soldering the guard.

Many interruptions this last week only getting an hour or two a day. The time it takes me to make a knife seems ridiculously long, hopefully I'll get better and faster, but sometimes I wonder.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg108.jpg

Spent the day soldering.
Set guard and painted yellow ochrre where I didn't want the solder to flow, and fluxed where Idid want it to go. Wraped the blade with a paper towel and wet it with a spritzer.
I started with handle up.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg118.jpg

Put the solder chips in a bath of flux

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg120.jpg

Then on the guard

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg125.jpg

Set the heat gun at 950, it didn't flow so I took it down cleaned up and set up again this time with out the ochre.
This time it flowed, turn the temp up 1050.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg131.jpg

Turned it blade up and the idea is to heat the joint at the face and the solder will be pulled up and fill the gap with out going all over the guard. You can see it didn't work for me , my gap is to big for one, maybe not enough or to much solder. There is a big gap right in the center.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg126.jpg

I added solder to the face 4 times filling gaps

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg129.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg130.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg128.jpg

I finally got the gaps filled and chiseled the joints with a brass point and sanded, then went to the buff real quick. I'll spend more time to get it looking better.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg145.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg144.jpg

Ground this chisel out of 1/4" brass rod

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg137.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg134.jpg

All in all a good day, about 6 hrs. work time, glad to have made progress and ready to move on to the handle.
Thanks for looking in and feel free to comment.

Thanks ,Josh,kimsalls

Great attention to detail Mark!

It's that #$@!*, opti-visor, and the pictures are more detailed than that.

Turned the 2 remaining pins and glued liner material to the front of the scales.

The 91* angle is not enough, you can see the gap so ill regrind a degree or 2.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg146.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg147.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg148.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg149.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg150.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg154.jpg

I just thought after seeing the last pic that I hadn't pined the guard yet, not sure if that should have been done before solder? How have you done it?

The handle scale to guard angle was increased to 92* and fit up was much better. Made a few angle templates and decided to stamp them, so i drug out some stamp sets collected over the years. My wife and I go to garage sales every Friday and Saturday from spring to fall. We're out from around 7am to 10am, we've been doing this for 30yrs. plus so I've acquired most all of my tools that way, and a lot of them are just going into use since the shop has been built. Anyway thought I'd show some,it's a little diversion so if you'd rather me not clutter up the WIP let me know.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg155.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg156.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg159.jpg

A set of kennedy drawers some gravers and an old set of very old calipers I just got, one set has some decorative file work need to get a close up.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg157.jpg

Ready to drill the first handle scale.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg160.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg161.jpg

Hopefully this will finish up this weekend.
Drilled the pin holes with the jig, I shimmed the lower portion of the recasso with a .005 feeler gauge, don't know if it's really necessary but I want to learn to do things as precisely as possible.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg163.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg164.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg166.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg167.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg168.jpg

Mark,
One thing I and many other makers do is Heat Treat after you Profile, drill your pins holes, etc.

I really prefer the way the steel grinds off in a nice crisp grind and I have less going back to retouch my grind lines. I also put a 33% bevel on both sides of the cutting edge before heat treatment, this avoids unnecessary
wear on the ceramic belts when I bevel in the main edge.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I think you are really going to have a winner there Mark..

The next one will get HT before I grind Laurence, going through the grit progression and getting a good finish is a big problem for me. This knife was done with worn belts, what a head ache. Never again.

Thanks Tracy, take a look.

The Kirinite is a dream to work, rough shaped with a 36g belt at a slow speed 16% on the KMG, then went to 120g and 220g, then hand sanded to 2500g.

Here it is at 120g

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg169.jpg

Went to a garage sale and got 2 of these remotes, so used them on my vacuums pretty handy when sanding with the fordom, and at the mill.

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg179.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg180.jpg

Here's the finished knife. Thanks for looking in, I enjoyed this build and the Kirinite was a pleasure to work with and finishes out real smooth and easy. Looking forward to a sheath for it now. You can see all the colors of Kirinite here: http://usaknifemaker.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=kirinite

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg194.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg195.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg192.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg191.jpg

wstghsebreakeryankeecrkmomgailbarb2012kirinitepepperg196.jpg

Last edited:
that flat came out Mark..
nice job..
thanks for posting it.
t

Back