Is it possible to tighten up a loose Benchmade model 30?

kung-fusion

I have an old benchmade 30 and the newer 62. While the 62 has screws, the 30 has what appear to be pegs. My model 30, while in good cosmetic condition, is very loose and jangly like a ring of keys. I want to tighten it up so there is less play and it swings more like the 62, but I see no way to do this. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance for any help.

Kung,
Welcome to the pack!
I don't make folders or repair them really so I am not much help.
Those pegs are most likely pins that have been peened or mushroomed to flare them and hold the scales on. Sending it back to Benchmade would be your best bet.

I have heard they have good customer service and since they made the knife will know exactly what to do!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I agree with Laurence: Your best bet would be to send it back to benchmade.
Chances are those pins were assembled using a high powered press, and while you could PROBABLY tighten them up with with a hammer (peening), you would probably end up deforming the uniform shape of the pin head.

Balisongs, like auto knives are illegal to ship across state lines. Better talk to BM before you send it to them as they may not be able to return it to you.
On you own, you can gently tap the pins with a hammer to tighten the pivot. Or gently tighten them in a vice. Go slow as it is harder to undo if you make it too tight.

Last edited:
Balisongs, like auto knives are illegal to ship across state lines. Better talk to BM before you send it to them as they may not be able to return it to you.
On you own, you can gently tap the pins with a hammer to tighten the pivot. Or gently tighten them in a vice. Go slow as it is harder to undo if you make it too tight.

It got there somehow didn't it? At any rate, Balisong and automatic knife laws very from state to state, and even city to city or county to county. There is also sometimes an exception made to "collectors" rather than, say, somebody who was dealing/distributing them or making them out of their home or business.

Back