Karambit grinding

Frank Aguirre

I bought a blank from Bobby Branton that was already heat treated. My grinder has a 2" belt and I am kind of hesitant to start grinding. How do you verterans grind blades with this shape? I was told that a 1" belt was the way to go. I can understand that. I guess I will need to build or have one built for me if that is the best practice way to do it. Thanks.

-frank

hey can't you split a two " belt in half and use it that way. i have run small belts on my two " grinder that way for handles . give that a try....

I bought a blank from Bobby Branton that was already heat treated. My grinder has a 2" belt and I am kind of hesitant to start grinding. How do you verterans grind blades with this shape? I was told that a 1" belt was the way to go. I can understand that. I guess I will need to build or have one built for me if that is the best practice way to do it. Thanks.

-frank
I too bought one from Bobby also as my first try at a Karambit. I need to clean it up as I had some difficulty grinding it. The 1" belt sounds interesting. Is that flat grinding or something else?

Hi Frank - you can run a 1" belt on your 2" grinder. I have a 3" grinder out back that I've only ever run 2" belts on and I run split belts often enough on my Bader. For that type of grind I would want a 1" wide wheel, you could probably get something fashioned by Sunray as an "inexpensive" foray into 1" grinding.

Back