Case Knife Sharpening?

CattleMaster247

Hey Guys, ok so I have run into this problem once before and am looking to see, where I am going wrong and a solution. In both cases I have encountered have been with a case knife. A gentleman I work with asked if I could sharpen one of his old 2 blade case knives from the 70's. As I spent a little time analyzing the blades I noticed that they had seen a lot of use. The blades were improperly sharpened for years, duller than dull and a lot of metal had been removed, the bevels were not consistent, and a 24.55degree bevel was the met consistent throughout the knife. I used an edge pro to attempt sharpening one of the blades, and was able to get the blade to cut but by no means to the point of even a satisfactory edgee in my opinion. The edge is long, too long in my opinion. With that being said, what is the best way to go about fixing the edge and also how to avoid the issue. I have sharpened hundreds of knives with the edge pro and only come across this situation twice both with case knives.
I did notice that with the blades edge nearing the spine it took more time than normal to form a burr.

If any body has any suggestions It would be great. I do prefer to use the edge pro especially with smaller knives, like this. I am though able to produce a pretty good edge free handing, but it is not comparable with my edge pro results.

Back