CNC cutting knife blanks

Cameron Wilcox

A while ago I met someone who does CNC work locally and we talked about having him cut out blanks,I know some ways for cutting out blanks make some things a pain but I'm unsure about how well CNC works for my use. Also, how much does it cost for other ways to have blanks cut out? I won't likely be able to have blanks cut for a while but would like to get a idea for cost at other sources as well as this one so I don't dive into something I can't afford.
I usually make mid-size utility/hunting knives with ~1/8 carbon steel.

Go down to Supplies, Services, and Other Resources below and click on Great Lakes Waterjet and drop them a line for their rates.

Doug

Depending on the intricacy of your design, I find that having blades waterjet runs around $10-12 per for about two dozen mid-sized blanks. Typically the more you have cut, the better the price per. Of course, it also helps if you have the proper sized sheet of steel so that only one sheet is needed for your project. It cuts down on set up time for the WJ service.

As others have mentioned, I'd talk to Dave at GLWJ. He does an exceptional job. I've been using a local guy for my projects, but it is only because he is just down the road from me and though he cost more, I save in the long run due to not having to pay shipping.

$7-12.00 Per Blank cut.

Water Jet or Laser cutting are what you want to just have profiled blanks cut. A CNC is to have 3-D parts machined.

Dave, at Great Lakes Water Jet knows his stuff and is very competitive in price.
I recently had him cut 150 blanks cut of my different models.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back