Have You Ever Seen A "Flippen Rhino"!

SPAknives

Well here is the very first of hopefully many, The "Flippen Rhino"! This is kinda of a prototype I guess is what you could call it. I'm sure the next couple will still have a few tweeks to only make it better. This has been something I have wanted to make for a long time now & finally got it done. It is the same size as my XL Rhino which is around 8 3/4" overall with a 4 " blade.
This one has a blade of A-2 steel that I hollow ground to about a 600 grit then I left the finish as heat treated. Since this is a air hardening steel is heat treated in a foil envelope so there is no scale, but you do get some kinda cool colors & patterns that are different every time. The ti liners are .065 thick . The pivot is a 3/16" pivot with bronze washers. It is super smooth and flips out surprisingly fast for having washers. The scales are "midnight tiger" g-10 with a toxic green liner/spacer. I am going to add a pocket clip, and I can also make some sweet exotic skin pouches.
All in all I'm pretty stoked with the way it turned out. Let me know what ya think! Hope you like it! Thanks for lookin & watch out for those "Flippen Rhino's"!

IMG_20120717_134421.jpg

IMG_20120717_134106.jpg

IMG_20120717_134348.jpg

IMG_20120717_134143.jpg

IMG_20120717_134034.jpg

Hi Shane,
Looks like a Sub-species of the black Rhino.
LOL I like the upswepted point & Thumb notch on the blade.

That's how I got the name, most of my first blades were this kind of configuration in a fixed blade out of 1/8, 1/4 and 3/16" thick steel so they were a bit over built.

Nice work! Looks comfortable in the hand. I may make some folders some day? I mostly make Culinary knives now that deal with things after the meat is processed.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back