ROUNDING OVER

v-6

Anyone use a cornering tool for your wood handles?
Vern computer smash 1

If you are referring to a router with a roundover bit, I used to get my wood scales as close to the size of the tang as possible and then rout the corners over with a Dremel router before attaching them.

I think its a waste of time and you run the chance of a "blowout" when the bit crosses a grain direction change like on the ends.

I've either gotten much lazier or better because now I just freehand everything and get a better elliptical profile with a slack belt. Routed corners on flat scales dont feel right to me. Just an opinion.

regards,
Steve

Hi Vern,
In my opinion, not worth the effort or the 25 bucks. You will still have a grain direction problem and the first time you hook a chunk off a nice scale you'll be throwing these in the river.

Just so you dont think I am a blow hard, please check www.romarcabinet.com ,been doing this since Pikes Peak was just a pimple.

regards,
Steve

P.S. DRAT!, now you guys will know where the WEDNESDAY NIGHT INSANITY giveaways come from.

I do all my handle work on the belt grinder up to 400 grit then its the hand sanding thing. When I first started I used course and fine files and then to the hand sanding. Frank

If you are referring to a router with a roundover bit, I used to get my wood scales as close to the size of the tang as possible and then rout the corners over with a Dremel router before attaching them.

I think its a waste of time and you run the chance of a "blowout" when the bit crosses a grain direction change like on the ends.

I've either gotten much lazier or better because now I just freehand everything and get a better elliptical profile with a slack belt. Routed corners on flat scales dont feel right to me. Just an opinion.

regards,
Steve
Freehanding on the grinder works best for me, too. I already have the scales squared, so I just use a rocking motion and for some reason, it all comes out just fine. Having the scales squared with each other makes good reference points while rounding.

I can see one benefit of some pre-shaping handles, it saves on belt life when using stabilized wood. I do what shaping I can on the bandsaw and then move to the grinders.

I used to use my drillpress with rotary files to pre-shape handles but after some chunks got grabbed and chipped out, got away from that idea.

Back