Matchlock Axe/Pistol

WOW!!! Another Bruce Bump WIP!!!

I'm very happy to read of your new project Bruce and I'm really excited to be able to watch yet another Bump Masterpiece come to life. The title of the project reminded me of a recent tv show I watched on the Discovery Channel where some giys built a mortar gun with an axe head. It was an iteresting project, but Discovery allowed thenowner of the shop to speak too much about things he had no clue about and they even went as far as to post erroneous "facts" in type on the screen. You have nonidea how happy it makes me to watch true experts build masterpieces like you build and know that the information you share is accurate.

WOW!!! Another Bruce Bump WIP!!!

I'm very happy to read of your new project Bruce and I'm really excited to be able to watch yet another Bump Masterpiece come to life. The title of the project reminded me of a recent tv show I watched on the Discovery Channel where some giys built a mortar gun with an axe head. It was an iteresting project, but Discovery allowed thenowner of the shop to speak too much about things he had no clue about and they even went as far as to post erroneous "facts" in type on the screen. You have nonidea how happy it makes me to watch true experts build masterpieces like you build and know that the information you share is accurate.

I'd like to see that Mortar gun/axe episode. I'm no expert on any of these guns and am the first to say so. My whole thing is to make something different than the norm. Back when these combination weapons were invented there wasnt many people making guns or knives like today. There were no standards and no right and wrong ways to do anything. Its really interesting to make something that somebody else hasnt already written a book on. We have allot of data on safety and materials to our advantage today compared to smelting the steel and mixing their own gunpowder in the old days. They would have been thrilled to have my shop back then too. Without electricity and making their own tools for specific tasks those old time masters were way ahead of their time. Makers havent changed very much, we all still crave for this craft just like they did 500 years ago.

Darn, I forgot the camera yesterday but I went to my friend Lons shop and welded an extension of mild steel onto the 12" barrel to bring it to about 20" and turned it down on his metal lathe. Today I have an appointment with the fellow that has the gun drill. I may not get pictures of that either but we'll see.

I think a smooth bore is in order here. It may be the only matchlock axe pistol in the world with a rifled bore. Its not made for accuracy anyway. I'm still planning to use it for a shot gun sometimes and want to offer different shot with the shooters kit.

Last edited:
Marvelous, just marvelous.

I'm looking forward to watching this unfold. Thanks for taking the time to share your work!

Looking forward to seeing this one come to completion Bruce!

Also, keep us posted on that diamond chop saw blade. If it's as good as they advertise I'll probably want one. Are you always taking all of the scale off of pieces before you cut?

-d

All right I don't know how I missed this at kick off but I am here for the duration. These builds by Bruce always fascinate me!

Appreciate you guys dropping in, I wish there was more to show but the barrel is in Portland Oregon being drilled. From there it goes to Pendleton Oregon to be bored and honed. Their gun drill is special, it has 2 drill motors that turn in opposite directions so the drill bit constantly searches for center as it drills. Iwish I could get a picture of the drilling operation but I doubt it will happen. Pendleton is only 45 miles from here so if I time it right I may be able to get a shot of this machine boring and honing my barrel. Let's hope so.

I made it to Staples and spent A couple dollars at the photo copy machine. I started with a small drawing of the axegun and enlarged it until the barrel is at my 12" barrel length. It wouldn't fit on one page so I glued both ends together and have a full sized drawing now. It looks good but doesn't look like an axe but more like a short rifle. I think a wooden model would let me get more of a feel for the shape. Much more on design coming soon. Check back guys.

Last edited:
Their drill IS different. Most turn the barrel and have the drill stationary and have oil pressure to move the cutting out of the way..

Their gun drill is special, it has 2 drill motors that turn in opposite directions so the drill bit constantly searches for center as it drills.

I'm trying to visualise this but struggling. Do you know where I can find more details to look at one?

I'm trying to visualise this but struggling. Do you know where I can find more details to look at one?

gundrillmacine.jpg

I found this one on the web at http://www.americandrill.com/

My barrel was too short at 12" so I added about 9" of sacrificial mild steel to one end so it would fit in a machine like this one, the "Deep Hole Drill". This company looks like they know what they are doing for sure.

I really think I could make a deep hole drill for short barrels with a metal lathe and a separate drill motor on the tail stock and a real gun drill bit. The "steady rest" in the center would be required.

After the hole is drilled and reamed to size my barrel will need to be chucked up from the bore and re-turned to size and shape.

Last edited:
Bruce
Sure would like to see a picture of that surface grinder conversion.
I will be watching this build with a lot of interest, great work.

Mike

Back