Feather pattern fighter forged in a can.

Fred Rowe

The billet for this feather pattern fighter was canister forged, using square stainless tubing.
The only flux that was used was to weld the billet after it was cleaved.
Its a thirteen inch knife with wrought iron guard and pommel. Copper and black fiber spacers were used to highlight.

The knife took a beautiful edge.

I have this knife posted on other forums, so you may have seen it, but wanted to contribute something here on the Knifedogs forums.

Thanks for L:cool::cool:KING Fred

featherwithafighter+006.jpg

featherwithafighter+009.jpg

featherwithafighter+011.jpg

Fred, nice knife.

Is that a cam lock on the back end?

Cool knife and great steel, we have a big ole box of some milling scraps ready for the can... Now I really want to see what it'll turn out like

Thank you:)

This knife was a real challenge for me, It was my first canister billet, there was some serious welding going on, the materials used made it an enjoyable knife to build. I really like the textures and colors along with forge-ability that wrought iron possess.

The thong loop, in the butt cap, was forged and filed from WI. I fashioned a barb to insert into the handle an inch.
Some one asked whether or not I had forged over the through tang after the knife was put together. A good trick:D

Thanks for the kind welcome, Fred

Fred that's beautiful! You know feather damascus is my ultimate favorite knife steel ever. I think it's the most beautiful thing there is, and you really did it justice. That's fantastic.

And you know, I seldom get to see any pictures of your knives. I have a theory about that. I think what you do is get ready to post one of your unbelievable creations, and then just wait until I'm not looking... Then you quickly post it so everyone else can see and then duck under cover just before I turn around... Very sneaky.

But I'm onto you pal. You see this?! I spotted one. ;)

No one knows this but I've entered super-secret negotiations with Google to create saved searches like on eBay. My first saved search is going to be "fred rowe +

Fred that's beautiful! You know feather damascus is my ultimate favorite knife steel ever. I think it's the most beautiful thing there is, and you really did it justice. That's fantastic.

And you know, I seldom get to see any pictures of your knives. I have a theory about that. I think what you do is get ready to post one of your unbelievable creations, and then just wait until I'm not looking... Then you quickly post it so everyone else can see and then duck under cover just before I turn around... Very sneaky.

But I'm onto you pal. You see this?! I spotted one. ;)

No one knows this but I've entered super-secret negotiations with Google to create saved searches like on eBay. My first saved search is going to be "fred rowe +" Then you'll never slip another one by me. He he he!!! Yep, you have to get up danged early to fool me all the time. Ain't gonna happen no mo'. :D[/quote]

You always make my day, David.:) You are too kind.

Best regards, Fred

[quote="John Andrews, post: 21662"]Sure is nice work, Fred! And when Dave Larsen says you do good work, I would take that as a really fine compliment.[/quote]

It is more than a compliment to me. Dave is a friend and his work has inspired me, when I get a chance to view it.2thumbs

What a fine community knife makers exist in.
Thanks for your comments, John.

Fred

Fred, John is one of my most favored friends. You will never find a more generous soul. (If I may severely understate the fact. John is like Santa Claus in the flesh. One of the finest human beings I have ever met.) Sometimes he does stretch the facts a little however! :D We all know that photos do not present the parts of a project that don't please us the most. Since you have only seen photos of my little stuff, you don't have the advantage that John has to have seen how truly trifling my craftsmanship is. John's just overly generous.

Which is okay by me! Thanks to both of you for the extravagant compliments. They are not deserved but have served to make my day. You guys are too nice. When I see knives like you've posted Fred, I realize what a lazy piker I truly am. But like you and John, Bruce Bump, Raymond Richard and a host of others here, you've given me something special live up to.

Just for the record, John's customers keep him exceptionally busy making knives that are truly unique. John has created some of the coolest knives you never saw. His customers are far more fortunate than they probably realize, to have a maker who can embody their ideas in such splendid functioning art. You two would make a great team. I'd like to see that someday! 2thumbs

Fred that is one awesome knife. There is not one thing on that beauty that I do not like. You always do outstanding work but you out did yourself on this my friend. Congrats. 2thumbs

Back