Culinary set-complete

Fred Rowe

I find making a "set" of anything a challenge, its also fun and rewarding.

The steel is W2. The blades were fully hardened then they were set, edge down, in wet sand and stress relieved along the spine and tang. Two tempers at 435.

Handle materials: Green dyed maple, jade green G10, sea cow rib bone with big leaf western red maple.

DSC01293.JPG

DSC01294.JPG

DSC01295.JPG

DSC01296.JPG

DSC01297.JPG

DSC01304.JPG

DSC01307.JPG

DSC01318.JPG

DSC01327.JPG

culinary+set.jpg

DSC01340.JPG

A wood working friend will be making a wooden counter standing block to hold the sharp things, using the same materials as the handles are made from.

Fred really like your work. I have a question, how did you do the handles? As in mount the handle to the blade? May seem like a strange question but was wondering.

Fred really like your work. I have a question, how did you do the handles? As in mount the handle to the blade? May seem like a strange question but was wondering.

Nothing strange about it. The handles were pinned, using 1/16 inch stock. My method is to glue the three piece spacer with the bone in it, slot that, then drill the pin holes through it. I then slot the forward [green]section of the handle, put two sides tape on it, place it on the tang then place the spacer with the holes in it up against the green section. I can then pull these two pieces off the tang and drill through the hole in the spacer and into the green section. I follow that up with the main handle section using the same technique.

Fred

Fred, Thanks for the step by step tutorial, it's great info for non fixed blade makers like me. Dan

Back