First Hand Finished Neck Knife

Mike Martinez

I've made a few knives in the past and typically left a machine belt finish on them. On this one, I decided to follow in the foot steps of giants and went to hand sanding with good old Rhyno wet and linseed oil. Starting at 120 I progressed to 400 spending about 20 to 30 minutes on each grit. Let me tell you, you guys who do this regularly have my undying respect. Every edge was rounded by hand and to allow for a more comfortable grip.

DSC_0024.jpg

Specifications

Steel: O1 Tool Steel
Hardness: 61±1
Blade: 2 7/8"
Width: 1 1/8"
OAL: 6 1/4"
Thickness: 5/32"
Finish: Hand rubbed to 400 Grit
Sheath: Kydex ®

Last edited:
Calvin and Ausbrooks, thank you both for your kind words. I was fearing trying a hand finished due a lifetime of abuse on my hands resulting in nerve damage in my mid twenties (now 30 with the hands of an octogenarian) but the tips and tricks within the pages of Knife Dogs made it possible to pull it off with less trial and error.

I think that's the epitome of the necker concept right there, and I believe the hand finish not only looks great, but matches the spirit of what a necker should be. Very nice, and I'm challenged to go try a hand finish now.

Thank you for your kind words, Rob and Storm Crow. As for the functionality, I tend to lean toward knife styles that are more utilitarian than just aesthetically appealing.

Back