My First Hammer In

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
Well guys and gals, it's "O Dark Thirty" and I just left the house after eating a wonderfull breakfast and drinking my first two cups of coffee which my loving wife got up extra early to prepare for me. I'm heading down I-40, I just passed Mayflower, Ar in route to "Old Washington" for my very first Hammer In.

I'm feelin kinda like a kid on Christmas morning. To say that I'm excited would be an understatement. I've made the drive thru South Arkansas more times than I could possibly remember going back and forth to Ft. Hood, but have never had the time to stop by the state park nor visit the Bill Moran School. This is kinda like my first real step to achieving a dream that started when I was but a young teenager (maybe younger).

I look forward to not only seeing the demonstrations/classes today, but also meeting all of the guys who will be present. I know of one other Knife Dogs who will deffinitely be there (Rusty McDonald) and maybe one or two more. The camera and extra SD card and batteries are packed and many pictures and video will be taken.

I hope all of you other Knife Dogs have a good day today, but I doubt any of you will have as much fun as I'll have.

Happy Knifemaking!!!

Last edited:
Hey Murph,
What a great way to start a day. I can't think of a better way to spend the day/life, learning more about knives. You will have an excellent time and meet people who will become instant friends. Enjoy. I wish I were in your shoes. Wade

Whew I'm glad I didn't have to get up as early as Murph did. Old Washington is only about 30 miles from here so Ill take my time with the coffee.

Thanks Wade. I'd kinda like to say that I wish you were in my shoes this morning, but I don't. LOL. I just wish I would have been driving a"clunker" when I ran over that hunter's deer stand while driving down I-30 just north of Malvern. Cammo deer stands are hard to see when lying in the highway during dark hours.

I'm a bit frustrated right now but still excited. Thank God for USAA Insurance. I probably have close to $3K worth of damage (all cosmetic that I have found thus far), but no injuries and my vehicle is still driveable. What can I:bud: say, "God loves the dumb and the ugly". I'm not sure which he considers me, but I'm thankfull regardless. Now I'm praying he keeps all of these deer I'm seeing off the highway.

bad deal on hitting that deer stand. Glad it wasn't worse though. Looking forward to pictures.

Murph,
I have heard of road hunters before but I thought they were in vehicles.:D
All kidding aside sorry to hear that you had trouble. I hope the rest of the day went the way you had planned. Wade

Guys and gals, I wish you could have all been there. I had a blast!!! I finally got to actually meet up with Rusty and had the opportunity to speak with makers I had met at various shows over the years as well as new aquaintances. By the way, that real pretty walrus ivory subhilt that Mr. Lin Rhea posted photos of is much nicer in your hand than in photos. What a knife!

As I was afraid would happen, I walked away from my first Hammer In with a great desire to throw some steel in a fire and take a hammer to it. Hmmmmm, I guess I'm gonna have to find a buddy with a forge and anvil. Hey Rusty, you know where I can find one of those?

Even with the mishap this morning, today turned out to be a great day. I wish more of you Knife Dogs could have been there to share the day.

Be patient Stabber. I took a few pics, but mostly shot video. Of course, in accordance with "Murphy's Law", that new SD card (the 4GB one) was not compatible with my camera. With the videos I was taking, I ran out of memory pretty quick.

I'll try to get a few pics posted this evening when I gt back to Ms.

Back