Bayonet - Fix it or leave it alone?

I recently found this bayonet. The guard is missing and I was wondering if it was worth reparing or just leave it as is?

Attachments

• DSCF2680 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF2680 (640x480).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 46
Looks like it's from WWII Merchant Marine Service. I'm thinking if you repair it, it will lose some of it's historical value. That's a personal opinion though. I have two bayonets and I've left them as is.

Tagged for interest and for someone with more expertise to reply

Kinda hard to tell from these pics? But it might have been made that way in the first place?
I can't remember a guardless bayo, of that era but as the previous poster said, You may lose historical value by "Fixing it!"
Collectors want AS IS!.

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com

Kinda hard to tell from these pics? But it might have been made that way in the first place?
I can't remember a guardless bayo, of that era but as the previous poster said, You may lose historical value by "Fixing it!"
Collectors want AS IS!.

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com

This type of bayonet had a guard that had an "eye" hole that fit over the barrel. The tang stuck through the butt piece and was peaned on the end to keep it all together. Apparently each manufacturer had a different pean look. That, for sure, would be ruined if I tried to replace the guard. I think I'll just leave it be. Makes you wonder how the guard went missing.

Thanks,

Jamie

Back