The Newell .45 cal front loader

I worked on the fit between the barrel and the frame and drilled the breech plug today. I also counter-bored the plug for the muskett nipple. This breech plug is made from a grade 5 bolt (9/16" - 18 tpi)
I also drilled it and threaded it with a 5/16"-24 tap.

100_4347_edited.jpg

100_4349_edited.jpg

100_4352_edited.jpg

100_4353_edited.jpg

100_4354_edited.jpg

100_4355_edited.jpg

Last edited:
I made a plate from 410 stainless steel for the barrel to seat into when tightened down. I needed to remove excess steel from it and shape it and the threaded reciever octagon to match the barrel. It is now .030" proud of the flats on the barrel. I like the way it looks and this will give some nice spots for engraving too. The adjustable rear sight will be attached to the top flat and the barrel will have dovetail to attach the front part of the sight. You will see when the time comes.

100_4364_edited.jpg

100_4363_edited.jpg

100_4371_edited.jpg

100_4368_edited.jpg

100_4373_edited.jpg

100_4377_edited.jpg

100_4378_edited.jpg

100_4379_edited.jpg

100_4380_edited.jpg

100_4382_edited.jpg

OK back to it.
I took about a pound of steel off the sides in order narrow the tang so I can add grips later. It was nearly a full inch wide and now its only .550"
I started with the band saw and finished with the surface grinder as far as I could reach and then went to the milling machine.

100_4389_edited.jpg

100_4392_edited.jpg

100_4393_edited.jpg

100_4395_edited.jpg

100_4397_edited.jpg

100_4402_edited.jpg

It's starting to look like a gun now bruce! And it looks like a beautiful afternoon in Washington. You live the good life man, that's all I can say. Given all the irons you have in the fire now I doubt you have yet, but when will you start the bowie that goes with this?

edited to correct stupid typo

Last edited:
Oh no Bruce, by the look of your inspector in the back ground, something does not look right :p ;)

Those little inspectors thought I said "cookie" and cant figure out why I'm just standing there taking a picture. :D They spend the entire day with me out in the shop

It's starting to look like a gun now bruce! And it looks like a beautiful afternoon in Washington. You live the good life man, that's all I can say. Given all the irons you have in the fire now I doubt you have yet, but when will you start the bowie that goes with this?

edited to correct stupid typo

We do live in a nice part of the country. No real storms or bad weather. Last year we had 2 feet of snow but thats really rare here. I'm thankful for all Gods given us.
I'm still procrastinating about the bowie. I'm planning to make the damascus when our friends Dana and Sandy come up for a few days in November.

Dam Bruce. Just when I think I have decided on something you do I might like to try you raise the bar higher and in a slightly new direction. Great work.

Larry

Dam Bruce. Just when I think I have decided on something you do I might like to try you raise the bar higher and in a slightly new direction. Great work.

Larry

Hi Larry, this one is easy because there no knife hooked onto it. Actually its my first pistol only project although I still need to make a matching bowie for it.
I ordered the black walnut box today for this set. He is a professional furniture maker and really enjoys these small projects. He is going to wash the walnut with india ink to darken it up. He calls it "ebonyizing". Should be very dark but still have visible grain.

I dug out some rusty old 3/4" square steel and cleaned it up for the forearm. Is that what its called? Forearm? Rifles have forearms but do pistols? Anyway the ram rod will screw into it.
I drilled an F size hole all the way through it and threaded one end with a 3/8" - 24 tap. I will turn the ram rod down to 1/4" except for a 3/8" end that will thread into the forearm. Make sense? I hope it works.

100_4423_edited.jpg

100_4426_edited.jpg

100_4428_edited.jpg

100_4430_edited.jpg

100_4432_edited.jpg

Bruce that is some seriously long drill bit you must have. I always struggle drilling deep holes. In your copious leisure time would you give us just a general idea how you accomplish that? Is it simply a long bit? The throw on my little drill press is nowhere near long enough to do something like that and I don't know if it is on regular manly drill presses. Is it?

Dang that's a good looking gun! I love that drawing. This is really a special treat to get to watch. Thanks Bruce.

Larry

Man I know that feeling...

But Bruce says it's easy! So what the heck. I would really like to see someone else try this too. Someday I will, but in all honesty that's a long way off. It's almost as much fun watching anyway. ;) You just don't get to keep the final product.

Most all day on that dang forearm or whatever it is called. No rust on it now.
I ground the rust off and ground it to approximent size and bandsawed the cutout. I have an osilating drum that will make the inside curves square. I superglued it to the frame and drilled through the forearm into the frame with a 1/4" drill (a very long one) and then oversized both the frame and the forearm holes for a hardened dowel (honda motorcycle part) that will align both parts and allow me to assemble it after the barrel is screwed into place. The ram rod can go through the dowel. This hole is also where the trigger return spring/plunger will be.

100_4437_edited.jpg

100_4439_edited.jpg

100_4442_edited.jpg

100_4446_edited.jpg

100_4448.jpg

100_4450_edited.jpg

100_4459_edited.jpg

100_4465_edited.jpg

100_4466_edited.jpg

Back