Best HC knifemaker?

pocomoonskyeyes

OK this may be a silly question,buuuut...

Who in your opinion is the best maker of HC Fixed Blades and who is the best maker of slipjoints and Folders?
I am honestly less concerned with appearances,than Performance. I'm not as much interested in eye candy as working well. I know all makers want their knives to look good, so folks will buy them, But I want one that WORKS and WORKS hard. Simple,primitive even is acceptable,Cost is also a concern. I really can't afford a whole lot. Perhaps some will even say that I shouldn't even consider a custom knife if that is the case,However I can't find what I want anywhere else. But Maybe, just maybe a Maker has slipped and scratched, dented or otherwise accidentally messed up a blade(as long as it isn't bent or warped). Like I said appearance is secondary in consideration to quality.

Also it is not my intention to start an argument among Makers either. I know you all make fine knives!! Maybe I am just chasing my tail.:bud:

I think the answer to your question is purely a matter of opinion. You may be best off contacting a few makers whose designs have caught your eye and speaking with them letting them know what you want to use the knife for and then make a decision. I can tell you that someone is known as one of the best isn't going to be cheap and they aren't going to sell a knife with a defect. I wouldn't.
-John

yah exactly what john said. you should check out bryan breeden, he makes some good users at a very good price IMO. he uses O-1, his blades are pretty simple but very effective. heres his site: breedenknives.com

For me getting the most for my money. Its the Burger family. I love their fixed blades. Here is one I want very badly:

P7090041.jpg

Folder wise also:
P7090046.jpg

P7190016.jpg

I like them because they are simple and functional and not that expensive.

their website is www.swordcane.com

I think the answer to your question is purely a matter of opinion. You may be best off contacting a few makers whose designs have caught your eye and speaking with them letting them know what you want to use the knife for and then make a decision. I can tell you that someone is known as one of the best isn't going to be cheap and they aren't going to sell a knife with a defect. I wouldn't.
-John

That's what I was afraid of. I do appreciate you taking your time to answer this. I was afraid this was going to a bit like chasing my tail with no chance of catching it!! So I guess the real answer that everyone has been too nice to say( thanks) is save and wait. I am probably a minority here, But I absolutely despise stainless steel. I have hated it from the first time I laid hands on one.

A large part of my personal problem is that I don't even look at Custom Made Knives. I know they are out of my price Range. I really have no clue as to who to look at in HC knives.

Last edited:
I know a lot of makers and it pretty much will depend on if you want to pay for a name or just a good Knife.
I know I will probably get roasted for this but you can look at the ABS (American Bladesmith Society) and get the names of some makers and look at their wares. Most all of those makers are still making knives and use HC steels and use tried and true techniques to produce some good knives. Shop around yourself and look at the styles and find one you like. I can give you some names of people I think are good but I don't want to seem like I am biased to certain peoples work, I am of course because I have my style preference.
As for a slipjoint maker. Same thing, shop around.
There is no one best maker of either folders or fixed blades only opinions. Although some are better than others. I have my list but I wouldn't want to give anyone the big head on this forum lol.

Who is the slip joint maker in Missouri? I know I cannot afford one of his right now but remember them to be top notch.

You see the thing that worries me is this.... I know Custom knifemakers make functional good knives that are Pretty. They don't/won't sell anything else. I have replies to this thread saying as much. I just don't care about pretty,and I think most custom makers would never even think about letting one go that was not.... Even if it was the best quality blade they had seen or made! If it was Ugly but was the best blade ever they would probably hide it somewhere and use it themselves(when no one was looking). I guess what I'm saying looks just ain't that important,but the rest of the "quality" is.

I'm not trying to impress anyone with anything but performance. Just a good quality "Plain Jane". I have a Custom one off that is very nice, I won it. I will NEVER use it, and that is really a crying shame... I might as well just have a picture of it, for all the good it is doing me. I don't collect knives to look at or to impress anyone. I collect them to use, much like a mechanic and his wrenches. Each one is a TOOL. That's the way I treat them, and why I take care of them.

yah exactly what john said. you should check out bryan breeden, he makes some good users at a very good price IMO. he uses O-1, his blades are pretty simple but very effective. heres his site: breedenknives.com

Thank you Tone, I did check out Breeden knives right after you got yours. I do like the Peacemaker model he has,But it wasn't quite what I wanted. I may settle for one, but am still checking out my options. Sadly, I will probably only be able to get one custom knife and I want to make sure it is going to be the "one". I have contacted one maker and I am just waiting on a reply now, to help in my decision process. I will shop around first, before making my decision. These makers should be hoping I win the lottery, I would have several from most of them.

The Best ???

I would go to a show. I have seen thousands of knives, many when I pick them up they feel great, others just don't do it for me. There is balance, texture that YOU need to enjoy. you then need to define your interests, likes/dislikes:

Handles: Natural or Synthetic, Wood, Horn.
Blade: SS or High Carbon
Damascus, Cable, San Mai.
Size: Small is better to get the job done.
Guard: Yes/No.
Trim: Brass, steel, pewter
*** Most important*** ; USE?

I cary a small folder always. When I was on SAR I carried a small sheath (3") blade. That big bowie gets heavy when tromping for 10 hours. When camping I have a big chopper/survival tool that lives in the truck. I don't hunt, but make many an elk skinner.

Review this list, then call me. 2thumbs

Back