Converting a manual oven to digital?

Jim Coffee

I have a chance to buy a paragon e-12 kiln CHEAP, it is a manual kiln and I would like to convert it to digital, can this be done and any idea of the cost roughtly. Thanks for any help this is all new to me I have always sent my knifes out to get heat treaed but want to start do in house.

It sure can be done! It will require the purchase of a digital controller, and depending on the current parts in the kiln, possibly a couple of extra components. Cost wise, the digital controllers run around $300+.....when it comes to a controller, it is one of those items where you will definitely get what you pay for.....meaning that if you get a cheap on, it generally doesn't work very well, nor last very long.

In my experience, most of the digital controllers will come with instructions for installation, and if you need additional help, the companies who sell the controllers are generally very helpful.

Thanks Ed, Is it worth doing? and can I use the oven the way it is for now or is that a pain trying to controll the heat range?

There's no doubt that a digital controller will make the oven MUCH easier to use....but it's all relative to what works for you. The amount of effort required to use a manual oven will be directly related to the type of steel your heat treating, and it's requirements. For example, simple carbon steels need only be brought to the austinizing temp and quenched.....but when you get into some of the stainless steels that required "ramped" soaks....it can be a real pain waiting around for the oven to level out, timing things, then upping the temp, waiting...... see what I mean.

You can "get by" with a manual oven, but once you've used one with a digital controller, you'd never go back.

Glad I checked here first.
I almost orderd a manual kiln, got sound advice here, and have controler type on the way as we speak.
Thanks Guys.

Back