New/Old Sheath for "old knife"

Church & Son

The guys I work with at realjob are avid hunters, live for deer season. One of them lost the sheath for his “old knife” during a skinning last year. He told me and I said I’d put one together when we got the time. Well season will be here soon so I told him to send me his old knife and I’d see what I had laying around to fit it.

WOW, his old knife is a “Old Timer” that’s been in his family for decades and has cleaned a hundred deer. The patina on the steel is amazing. He apologized because it was dirty and was amazed when I told him of all the work I’ve done to try and imitate the look of an old well used but not abused blade.

oldtim1.jpg
oldtim2.jpg
oldtim3.jpg

A simple pouch sheath was what I thought of. It has a “H” belt loop on the back so it can be worn conventional or horizontal ’cause he likes to move it around during the day.
I aged the leather with some diluted homemade walnut stain to try and match the years of use. The leather is a piece from the inside of a saddle. There’s some dings and scratches, and then finished with my usual dirt, grease and shellac. Because it is a serious user I backed up my stitching with copper rivets.
I like the way it looks and hope it compliments this awesome “old knife”….Randy

That looks just right Randy. I like the old Schrades. Easy to sharpen, good working knives. That one has aged well. Deer blood patina beats mustard everytime.

Thanks Gentlemen, I gave it to him this morning. A bear hug from a 280 pound redneck will certainly start your day on a positive note.......Randy

Back