is this normal for d2

franklin

yhis is my first heat treat of d2 in my new oven, ok this is what i did foil wrap into cold oven, then to 1400 for 10 min then ramped to 1880 for 30 min, then plate quenched, then since i did not think it would hurt or even help ithruogh in freezer for two hours. well my point is there were two knives 1 1/8 thick turned grey all over just like when i would send them in to get done the 2nd one is colored differently is this ok heres a pic,now im going to temper on low side at 425 for 2 hours 2 x then peter martin said he would rc for me. what you think? will the 2nd one be ok?

Last edited:
Some colors and oxides are not unusual, but can indicate air infiltration in the foil, too much air inside the foil when it was sealed, or possibly a contaminant on the steel when it was wrapped. It is possible to get decarb on foil wrapped blades. Trouble is a hardness test dosen't tell you anything about the hardness right at the cutting edge because the test cant be done at that location, and the decarb can be just a spot here or there. When in doubt I put an edge on it and start carving hard on pieces of scrap steel, then inspect the edge. Decarbed areas will roll pretty heavily under this use.

well ill be testing that one pretty heavy to see how she holds up,to bad i did not heat that one before i ground it like the smaller one but thought 3/16 would be ruf going after heat treat. still going to have them rc'd to see were heat treat put them thanks justin

yes left it on till it was warm to touch then sniped the ends right to freezer, have you guys seen it like this before?

Back