kiridashi

badgerknives

hey guy i was hopeing to see pictures of any kiridashi or kiridashi type knives you have. when where they started and what materials were they made of? any and all info is much apreciated.

The Kiridashi is an old Japanese utility knife. "Bubba-San" will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they were comonly used as carpenter or gardener's knives. As with every other tool in Japanese history, it was just a matter of time before the peasants transitioned it into an easily hideable and deadly weapon.

If you want design ideas, do a quick search and you should turn up a multitude of designs by makers here.

Murph is correct , A traditional kiridashi was and still is a carpenters scribe . single or double bevel is ok. I think I have some good pics of traditional style blade .I have made a few of these lately.

Last edited:
Compared by Bubba's, my kiridashi's aren't the most historically accurate, but they serve their intended purpose just fine for me. That purpose is generally as a utility knife for opening boxes, cutting paracord or trimming leather.

2011-06-21%25252023.06.46.jpg

2011-06-05%25252009.52.18.jpg

2011-07-12%25252019.57.02.jpg

Here are some more a little different style , Brad your blades look good to me . the 2 photos to left and right are made from Tamahagane Japanese sword steel

Last edited:
The 3 wrapped ones are O-1 and the other pics are kiridashi made from tamahagane Japanese sword steel. They turn a beautiful blue rainbow color when etched in lemon juice. the long one is also tamahagane.

Last edited:
Not really sure ! Its just a traditional style for some obscure reason they made long handles so, I copied one in tamahagane
Bubba

Back