Mkd wip

GMelton

I promised a few folks I would throw up some pics of my next WIP so here we go. This is the Melton Knife and Design, Bravo Smash. It's my most popular Combat/Hard Use knife. Several firsts on this particular knife and project. This is the first knife I have done in S35VN (3/16") so I am excited about that and to see how hard it is to work with. Also this is the first of several knives I just had water-jet. Overall I am pretty happy how the water jet came out.. gonna have to make some adjustments on a couple designs but this one came out well. I had to clean up the edges and do some slight profile work. In this pic we have the blank cleaned up and flat ground.
Blank.jpg

Here I am using the Dykem Steel Blue so I can scribe two lines for the edge. I usually shoot for an edge thickness of about 1/16" or 50/1000's prior to H/T(heat treat). Any thinner and we'll have issues during H/T.
scribed edge.jpg
I tried to get a good pic of the edge. I apologize that I apparently am photo-retardant....Here I have ground to just the outside edge the scribed lines.
Ground Edge.jpg
I then start a double hollow grind with an 60 grit belt with which I do about 80% of the needed grinding then switch to an 80 grit then finally a 120 which is the highest I will go prior to heat treat. I plan on bead blasting this knife so after H/T I will take it up to a 220 finish then blast it. Taking it to 220 ensures no grind lines with show through the bead blast finish.
Grind.jpgGrind L.jpg
I will try to work on the handle tomorrow. Any questions or comments feel free to post! Enjoy!!!
Check out some of my other knves at http://meltonknifeanddesign.com

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing with us.
How much clean up is required on a blank cut with a water jet?

Just a few min's of clean up from the place I get mine cut from. Not too bad and MUCH easier than cutting or grinding down from stock. I dont have a bandsaw so I have just been grinding down usually from 2" stock so the water jet is a life saver. As I understand some offer a very fine finished cut that wouldnt require any cleanup. The biggest issue is getting the CAD right. A few designs that I gave him didnt quite translate correctly and I had to make a lot of corrections. I am sure someone like Great Lakes Water Jet which do nothing but knives are a lot better.

I was able to get a little work done today.
I traced then cut out the handles. The handle material is call Terra Tuff. Very similar to micarta but is made of polyester. Machines MUCH easier and supposedly isnt toxic like the micarta dust.
Trace Handle BS.jpg
Here I drilled and relieved the holes for the handles.
drill BS.jpgrelieve BS.jpg

Here the handles are roughed out and attached getting ready to go on the horizontal grinder so we can dress it all up and make it purttty around the edges.
rough handles correct.jpgNice handle BS.jpg
Thanks!

Ok we have the handles about 95% complete. Have some scratches on the knife I need to clean up but then we are ready for heat treat.
L side Handle.jpgR side Handle.jpgSpine Handle.jpg

Well kinda at a stand still on the featured knife waiting on some materials.. So here are a few other knives I have been working on.

g1.jpgCB Handle Spine .jpgcb guns.jpgCB Handle R.jpgCB handle Line Top.jpgg2.jpg

Back