Question on Protective Gear, etc

jylong_away

Ok guys, this is going to be potentially embarassing for me, so be gentle...

I've been making knives, rings and other assorted things from stainless steel, titanium, and G10/CF for a while now.

My tools consist of a hacksaw, hand files, power drill, dremel, and small benchtop sander/grinder.

I've always worn full eye and respiratory protection(half mask with charcoal filter) when doing anything with the dremel or sander/grinder, as well as when doing *anything* at all with G10/CF/Micarta. My grinding has always been relatively low speed (no sparks at all), with coarse belts for stock removal.

My question is regarding hand sawing and drilling of metals - I've always assumed that the particles/trailings from hand saws and drills were either too large to pose an inhalational issue, or weren't moving at high enough speed to be aerosolized, but is this correct? I've also always assumed that the temperatures generated from hand sawing and low speed drilling weren't high enough to generate any significant fumes, but again, how accurate am I about that?

I've justs been though some of the material safety sheets on steel and titanium, which primarily mentions inhalational hazards with welding and high speed grinding, but the also mention 'cutting', though not whether this is high speed machine cutting, or something else.

I've been getting a bit of a cough with increased phlegm lately, so have been getting paranoid - there's been some controlled burning of grassland nearby lately as well, so it might be that, but always pays to be safe...

Thanks!

Dave

I can't give an expert opinion or facts, but I can tell you what I do. On the days I go to my shop I begin by setting out everything I plan to do that day and try to insure everything is in a handy location. Prior to turning on equipment or beginning any work, I put on the eye protection. Depending on what I'm doing, igrab various other protective equipment. If I'm sanding, cutting, filing, drilling, or grinding anything what so ever the respirator goes on.

Reading Ed Cafferey's story last year scared the daylights out of me. I know of guys who have been making knives and working in cabinet making for decades who have never worn protective gear and never had a problem, but I'm not willing to take that risk now that I have been informed.

A respirator is cheaper than a trip to the doctor's and getting a piece of metal in the eye, especially iron and steel, is a medically urgent situation. When my SS check comes in I'm going to be looking for a full face mask to replace respirator combination to replace my half mask with. Amazon has one without a blower for about $69.

Doug

I'm brand new to this, and just yesterday started drilling holes on my very first piece of D2. I wore eye/earpro, and gloves, but didn't think I'd need the mask. Woke up this morning feeling stuffed up, and blew a bunch of black sooty stuff from my sinuses (sorry if that was graphic). The first thing I do when I cast is put a mask on; guess this'll be the same.

To the OP:
I'd say that if your not tasting metal or blowing black/gray stuff out of your nose at the end of the day, then you're probably ok.

I opted for a high dollar respirator and good safety glasses. I don't work around machinery with gloves. It's to easy to get them cought up in something.

No gloves allowed near power tools in my shop. No rings or bracelets either. I nearly lost a hand to a woodchipper one time, luckily the glove I was wearing was loose enough to come off.

Andrew, it's not the stuff you taste or can see that will cripple or kill you. Black boogers are the least of our worries... it's the teeny tiny bits that settle way down deep in your lungs and never come out that are the problem. I really don't know if hand-sawing will produce tiny particles like that but why chance it?

Back