My Military Build Effort

calharkins

This is the knife I made. I decided to do a duracoat finish on the blade to prevent light reflection. The camo job is probably adequate, but could be better. The knife is going to my nephew. He is in the 4th Infantry Division "Hellraisers". They will be deploying to Afghanistan soon.

military1.jpg Military3.jpg Military2.jpg

Carey, I will be glad to tell you about the finish of the blades. I bought a camo pak of duracoat and reducer (thinner) from Brownells. First I painted the blade completely back. The next day I took masking tape and taped off some stripe patterns to retain the black. I then painted alternately with the brown and the sand colors. I used cedar branches, sticks, and leaves to block some of the underneath color from being painted. I did this several times and then did a sand color overspray to mute down the black and the brown. I painted this blade last, so the paint job is much better than the first blade. On the first blade, I completely lost the black undercoat. I am not completely satisfied with the paint job, but I feel that it does achieve it's objective of preventing reflection of the blade.

If you use duracoat, USE A RESPIRATOR! This is an epoxy base paint and will ruin your lungs. Use a cheap airbrush as the thinner is really hard on the air brush. Be sure and clean the airbrush completely as we know how hard epoxy gets.

Back