Heat treat data file for 12c27 by Sandvik

Ok I ordered some, do I have to anneal it?

Can it be cut by bandsaw and drilled without problems?

ernie

I think it will be find to cut and drill. I had it set up in my 7x14 band saw and hit a hard spot. It was too dang cold to sit out there fight it. It will not be fully hard but it appears it was not annealed fully after rolling.

woohoo...

I ready to order some more to play with

how about some Kbits and a few chute knives cut from this stuff?? WOOHOO!

I thought I was the only one with a cold shop. I hope it is above freezing next week because I'm taking vacation to work on knives and my shop furnace keeps shutting down and refusing to restart.

ernie

This is good steel and it's selling slower than it deserves. I think I will stimulate that a bit.

I had a question in PM asking that the composition of this steel looked a lot like 440a which we know is a bit famous for lessor edge holding. My answer is I don't know why this steel is so much better! I am just comfortable it is. I have been reading about it for years and the reports are always good. I bought it from retired ABS Mastersmith PJ tomes he told me how good it is and that is good enough for me.

The appendix to Verhoeven's metallurgy for bladesmiths goes into this in rather
gory and hard to understand detail. As simply as I remember:

While the carbon content is down around 440A, the chromium is also down. The
stain resistance of a steel is based on chromium not tied up in carbides. The
completeness and thus potential hardness of the martensite matrix in steel is
based on carbon in the matrix, not carbon in carbides. If you have too much
chromium and carbon the two happily make (not so little) carbides together, thus
producing a blade that is neither as hard, nor as stain resistant, nor as fine grained
as a blade where the two elements are in the optimum balance.

In other words, the synergy of the chemistry works out better in AEB-L (13C26 --
12C27 is similar with less carbon).

Back