Cpm154 ?

JDW

I am about to make some knives using CPM154, and looking at the Crucible data sheet on it, they say quench in oil or positive pressure of 4 bar minimum, or salt quench to 1000 then air cool to below 125.
My question is, does anyone plate quench CPM154? how does it work with plate quenching? If I use oil what oil is the correct speed?

Thanks Cliff, thats what I thought I had read before, but then when I saw the data sheet, I thought I had imagined it.
Thanks again.
Dale

I would agree with the plate quenching. I searched through many threads and Tracy's recipe on his website when I started HT'ing CPM 154. I consistantly get 61.5 to 62 rockwell out of the plate quench (1" aluminum plates). I also shoot compressed air along the gap between the plates. It doesn't take long to cool a blade down that way.

I know that there are some that oil quench, but I am floored as to how clean and consistant the plate quench has been for me. I started out HT'ing O-1 and got used to oil quenching. Once I started doing stainless, I am liking the HT process more.

The aluminum plates will suck the heat out, much faster than normal air quenching. I know a guy that oil quenches ATS and 154cm with great results so I guess any of it works. Every since I tried the plates that is my preferred method.

Thanks guys for the help. I plate quench 440C, and A2, D2, and have great results, but was confused by the Crucible data sheet on the CPM154 when it said oil quench. Thanks again for clearing that up.
Dale

Back