Hello from Afghanitan

R

RickGI

Well Let me tell you a little about myself. I was a machinist for 10 years after serving 8 years in the military. Other than the production work getting old after the 1000th of the same part it was a pretty interesting job. Like most machinists I enjoyed the set up much more than the production run.

After 9/11 I went back into the military and have at it since. I have missed the interesting parts of machining so over the years I have bought a mini lathe and a mini mill to tinker with in my garage. I have been a long time knife fan and have been interested in making my own since talking with a maker at the Tulsa gun show last year. I have quite a bit of time on belt sanders and bench grinders so I think I will be able to get after it.

I really love the look of Damascus and some day I will be forging my own. I have been trying to get a good anvil for years. I actually have built a small gas forge for casting metals and still have it somewhere in my shop at home. I was using a dremel to freehand my dies so the results weren't that great but it was fun. The last anvil I got outbid on at an auction I helped the guy load it on his pick up. I have known him for several years and have lots of interesting coffe conversations over the years. So after he helped me load the drill press that I outbid him on I offered to help him unload his anvil. Well after we unloaded his he showed me around his shop including his coal forge. I got to watch him make a tire spoon on it that day so I have been hooked since.

I find myself with alot of time on my hands and guess this is a good time as any to try my hand at knife making. When I get home I will build either a KMG clone or NWG (welded of course) but for now it is totally by file. I have access to a drill press here and have a dremel a jig saw and a sawsall. I have my files coming (magic cut, @@@@@@@ cut, second cut, finish cut) and a few other tools that I own that will be helpful. I have spent some of my free time reading this forum and have ordered enough supplies to make 4 or 5 knives while I am here. With a hand file it will be slow but I have a year right?

The steel I have ordered is 0-1 and some denim micarta handle material as well as some nice burl. The job I am doing here provides me with the use of alot of hand tools but not many power tools. I am an avid woodworker and have a pretty nice collection of tools at home but...

Well I look forward to asking questions when I get to that point and would like to thank everyone for the information and experience you have shared already. Hope everyone is doing well and talk with you down the Road.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to KD..
sorry to be thick headed...are you currently active service and deployed in Afghanistan?

Welcome to the pack brother. Good to have another "Joe" among our ranks.

Welcome Rick. I'm sure you will be off to a good start with your files.
Your heat treating that O-1 might be a challenge but I'm sure you can climb that hill.
Keep us posted. Dozier

Sorry should have been more clear. Yes I am currently in active service deployed to Afghanistan. I probably won't attempt to heat treat here unless the small arms shop has a heat treat oven in addition to the drill press they agreed to give me time on. Open fires here are a no no because it is a black out FOB. I will send the blades home for heat treat, two weeks there and two weeks back plus the time to have them heat treated makes it a slow process but I have the time assuming I can find a heat treater that ships to an APO.
Speaking of shipping to the APO, does midwest knife makers supply ship to APO's? I dropped my cheap chinese liner lock knife that my father in law gave me and broke the pivot screw. I like the fell of it in my hand but the material quality is suspect as well as fit and finish. I am contemplating modifying it with nicer scales and possibly a different blade. The blade says it is TW 84 stainless which I am not familiar with but it seems to hold an edge well. I have taken it apart and debured it and hand polished the liners. The liners are stainless and fairly hard, took a little elbow grease to polish. The knife locked up well and is fairly straight in between the liners when folded and has a smooth action but would like to dress up the scales a little with something other than plastic.
Thanks for the welcome.
Rick

welcome. sounds like you are on the right track. but be very carful knife making is very additive. keep your head down . Gary Miller

Welcome, Rick! Sounds like you have got yourself quite a project to burn your spare time over there. I want to say Thank You for your service, from myself and my family. If you have any trouble getting supplies or getting your blades shipped to/from the heat treater, you are welcome to let me know and I will help if I can. God Bless!

Thanks all for the warm welcome. When the time to heat treat comes I would appreciate the helpful nudge in the right direction, Thank you. It is an Honor to serve.

Howdy, Rick and welcome to the pack. Thank you for your service and if there is anything I can send to the sandbox to help you just let me know on this forum and I will do my best to get it to you. And no, I can't send you a home-cooked meal but if I could I would.

Rick, welcome to KD and thanks for your service. Kick tail, take names, stay low.

We ship to APO addresses all the time.

Back