Hello from Midcoast Maine

S

Shepherd Jim

Hope everyone is having a good winter. Here on the coast of Maine on the first day of Feb 2011 we're expecting JUST 4" or so of snow today -- TOMORROW they're promising us another 16".

I've been working on a collection of rigging knives for a decade. But, really only got serious a year or so ago. I knew I was in serious trouble when I had to set up a database to keep track of which knives I owned. In my mind a "rigger" is defined as a knife that, in some manner, is affiliated with a marlin spike.

In hindsight, if I'd known how MANY different rigging knives had been made by SO MANY makers from all around the world, I might have restricted my interests to maybe just folding riggers made in the States. I know a man, much smarted than me, that only collects Case riggers made in 1970 or earlier.

To add to my agony I seem to have trouble resisting pretty "rope" jacks (think "rigger without the spike").

So!? Can any Forum members tell me what makes this forum different than the big Blades Forum? Are there any of you who hang out here and don't go over there?

Jim

If you ever get down to Mass. stop by the shop.:3:
Knife Dogs is more like a Family than the other sites.:s11798:

If you ever get down to Mass. stop by the shop.

Hey Indian George!

Thanks for the invite. I would like the chance to poke around your neck of the woods at some point. My Mother originally hailed from North Dartmouth. Both her parents were school teachers there.

I haven't finished "visiting" your shop via your w/site -- looks like you're having some fun!

Have you ever thought about making a folding rigger? ...sheepfoot or Wharncliffe blade + marlin spike. I have NEVER seen a Damascus spike.

Have you dug out from the latest snow yet? We got all snow up here where it sounded like you might have received some nasty freezing rain.

We had rain all day yesterday and everything is frozen solid today.
Have you checked out the Guild. We have Hammer-In's a number of times a years down here in New Bedford.
Could always take one of yours apart and make up Damascus blade and spike.:les:
Checkout our Sub-Forum.

Hey Jim! I was stationed in Brunswick for 3 years quite a while ago. I love the state of Maine. It's like a whole different world!

Back