Any insight?

T

Tectonic

I've got a forge with a champion hand-operated blower, recently acquired it at an antique shop and haven't had the time to use it but I'm gearing up for it. I built an extremely redneck engineered one a while back, used it at night due to the smoke it created.

The issue lies in the smoke, as I live in city limits (unfortunately) and they don't like open flames, well.. this has no "open" flame, to speak of - no more than a grill. I went to the fire dept, and they told me to get my setup done, call the fire marshall and have him inspect it for safety, thing is.. I don't want him to come with an attitude and tell me don't do it - and I sure as hell am not the type to even listen to them, they can't bark me around.

So, I was wondering, any ideas on controlling the smoke other than setting up an expensive vent systems?

:) Many years ago, right after moving to Montana, I looked up one day and 1/2 dozen firemen were staring back at me! I was using coal, and conditions were such that day that the smoke came out of the stack, then down to the ground and just hung there. A neighbor about 4 doors down had called the fire dept. Thankfully I knew two of the firemen and they just made fun of me. Not long after I converted totally to propane.

Depending on how "up tight" people are around your area...they might not care....or they could blow a gasket...ya just never know.
After reading what you wrote
I went to the fire dept
and
they told me to get my setup done, call the fire marshall and have him inspect it for safety
My gut tells me that your going to get hassled. I'm not one for breaking rules, but in this case it might have been best to ask for forgiveness rather than premission.
Hopefully I'm wrong!

With coal, there is just nothing you're going to do to get rid of the smoke....in your situation, going to propane forges might be the only answer.

Is there a possibility of using charcoal instead of coal?
IME, it tends to smoke considerably less.
I personally like using charcoal, but in the end it is more expensive because so much more fuel is used. I guess it really depends on how often you fire up the forge. But charcoal smokes very little compared to coal.

I realize local availability can be a concern when discussing the different fuels, but it's an idea worth thinking about.

Ed's suggestion about propane is very valid. Flexible in use, generally more portable forges, and very clean burning. Instant heat, too- no waiting to get the fire going.

The thing is, I'm stuck on wanting to do things the old-fashioned way; and I don't have the funds to setup a propane burner.

I reckon I'll wing it and just get in trouble till they decide to leave me alone.

Propane forge can be built for less then you will spend in charcoal, I understand the wanting to do it in the traditional way, but had they had propane they would have used it as well..lol

Ed is probably correct. It probably would have been better not to have raised the issue, talked to the neighbors so that they knew what was going on and if the FM came out tell him that it is safer than a grill on the back porch. Actually once the coal fire is going there isn't much smoke. Neighbors will probably complain more about the smell, although, I like the smell.

I spoke with the fire dept about 3 months ago, and didn't tell them where I lived - just that I lived in city limits. My neighbors don't care.

Tectonic

I used one all last weekend at the Arkansas Big Buck Classic and we never had a problem with smoke after the startup. But we kept a small bed of coals, about the size of a softball. Which was plenty big enough for two blades at a time. The only time that we had smoke or flames was startup or when we added more coal. Yes there was smoke because there was a fire, but not as much smoke as when grilling.

Try a small fire and slow roll on the crank, maybe 10-20 rpm. You might find it easier to control the heat when and where you want it on the blade and uses very little coal. I bet we didn’t use 20 pounds of coal for a 3-day event, but we weren’t trying to weld either.

I would be willing to bet that you would have more complaints from the neighbors about the ring of the anvil than any smoke.

I’m with Wayne, I like the smell it reminds me of when I was a kid, not just a kid at heart.

Todd

I know the "City Department" folks can be a huge hassel, but here is a good tip. NEVER allow the insurance agent that has your homeowners policy ANYWHERE near your shop!!! Mine came out to look at an addition we had built and was intrested in how I made my knive so I was tickled to give him the Grand Tour! When it was all said and done, he told me "If your shop ever burns down, dont tell anyone I was ever here!!!
He was nice about it, and told me if he didnt know me as well as he did, he would have at least put a waiver on the shop, and possibly cancled my homeowners policy all togather! Seems "Shop Made" equipment give them insurance folks the shivers!

God Bless
Mike

Insurance companies have been discussed before and it seem that things do vary from company to company. One thing, if it does come up, you forge knives as a hobby, not a business. Calling your hobby a business can also cause problems with the city if you are in a residential area.

Doug Lester

Back