First folders finished!

Nylund knives

Me and my brother have finally finished our first folders, we have made one each.

fallis1.jpg

desert.jpg

deseert2.jpg

Both linerlocking folders with damasteel blades and bolsters. One with desert ironwood scales and one with grenadill scales.

We really enjoy making these and will definitely make more of them.

I would really like to discuss different aspects of folder making.
For example on this knife we have only used 0-80 screws, is 1-72 better and stronger? We also have a 1/4 bearing press fitted in the blade with a 1/8 pivå pressfited in the liners and in the bearing. We have used nylatron washers but I've read the tread about washer and will test a few other types aswell.

One problem we had was wear on the 0-80 screws, the screws would wear down and start to spinn in the treaded holes. The holes didn't seamed to wear but we had to change the screws about three times. I found this quite strange...

If you have any thoughts, comments or tips for a new maker just starting out with folders please leave a comment.

Best regards
Jakob and Simon
www.nylundknives.com

Those are both very good looking knives!!! I had a similar problem with 0 80 screws with the head stripping. I switched to 172 and haven't had a problem.

Thanks for the nice comments!

We are quite pleased with result ourselves.

Is there are difference between the cheaper taps and the more expensive taps regarding the quality of the treads?

Also which supplier do you think have the best quality folder parts?

Jakob

These folders look great !!! And because they are firsts I am a amazed !!! I find the press thing and bushings in both the blade and liners unusual. I do not feel this is necessary but if it works for you, well, you are doing the right thing for your work. Could it be the hole size for the 0X80 screws is too big and the tap is cutting shallow threads? I don't have that problem and I use a lot of them. I use SS for the work done and then change over to gold plated. I do use 2X56 on larger folders and even a few 1x72. I'm hoping to see lots more of your work !! Frank

Thanks everybody :eek:

These folders look great !!! And because they are firsts I am a amazed !!! I find the press thing and bushings in both the blade and liners unusual. I do not feel this is necessary but if it works for you, well, you are doing the right thing for your work. Could it be the hole size for the 0X80 screws is too big and the tap is cutting shallow threads? I don't have that problem and I use a lot of them. I use SS for the work done and then change over to gold plated. I do use 2X56 on larger folders and even a few 1x72. I'm hoping to see lots more of your work !! Frank

Thank you Frank!

The press fit is a Scandinavian thing I guess, here almost everybody use the same small bearings in the folders. I find it easier to use the bearings becasue you just use the correct reamer and press the bearing in and your done.

I know we used the correct drill size but I wonder if maybe the drill was weared down and cased the last holes to be bigger or maybe not as round as they should...

We will definitely make more folders in the future.

Jakob

If your pivot screws came loose, it was caused by the two press fits. Something has to move. I suggest that you try making a slip fit between the OD of the bushing and the blade.

I don't use anything smaller than 2-56 on my folders, and I buy the cheapest taps I can find.

If you tap titanium, use a tap drill one size over the recommended size. Titanium is stronger than the stainless screw threads, so it will strip the threads off the screw before stripping the threaded hole.

Beautiful knives, you guys did a great job. As far as the screw problems I usually run the tap in and out of the holes to insure a good threaded hole. I have noticed that if you do a quick sanding to remove burrs after tapping the titanium the holes can close a bit, might have to run tap thru again. I usually use a set of srews for the rough work and install new screws when the knife is almost done. Dan

If your pivot screws came loose, it was caused by the two press fits. Something has to move. I suggest that you try making a slip fit between the OD of the bushing and the blade.

I don't use anything smaller than 2-56 on my folders, and I buy the cheapest taps I can find.

If you tap titanium, use a tap drill one size over the recommended size. Titanium is stronger than the stainless screw threads, so it will strip the threads off the screw before stripping the threaded hole.

Thank you Rob.

No, it's not the pivo thats the problem, it's the other screws. But I don't have the problem when putting on new screws, but they do wear down quite fast, but thats not a problem now when the folder is finished.

It's actually not a bushing I'm using, it's a small bearing like this:

221_master.jpg

The OD is 1/4 and ID is 1/8, and the whole bearing is 2,7mm wide.
There are no friction at all between the pivo and the blade, all the friction there is are from the washers against the blade.

Jakob

Last edited:
You do really nice work.
Man, they are both nice, but I really like the desert ironwood.

I think most makers use too large of screws in their handle materials. It detracts from the overall appearance of the knives.
I use 0-80 screws too and find if you go a size up, it makes a big difference.

Back