First Bowie, first take-down...

Patrice Lemée

First Bowie, first take-down. (Final pics added)

Lots of firsts.
Also the first time using stabilized wood. Sweet stuff! :D
The knife is not done of course, lots of cleaning up to do and sharpening. Handle is only sanded to 220 grit. I would have liked more shape for the handle but this was made with scales and that's all the size I had to work with. Some of the proportions are a little off too. Something to change in the next one. When it is done I'll post better pics as well as stats and a list of what I learned in the process.

bowie_take_down1.jpg

bowie_take_down2.jpg

Your input is more than welcomed of course.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
nice work. i'd love to see it broken down also..I'm interested in how you registered the spacers..

Great work stepping out of your comfort zone Pat !!!!

Aint learnin fun. Eventually I'm gonna have to try the same thing twice so perhaps I'll get good at something, LOL.

Grat looking knife buddy, Josh

Thanks guys!:eek:

Tracy, registering? Darn, I knew I forgot something. :( ;)

I'll get a pic of all the pieces (15 or 17 if I remember right) when I get it finished. Hopefully by the beginning of next week.

And Josh, "perhaps I'll get good at something"?:55:
You get a virtual slap behind the head for this one.:3:

Well I was going to mention its not a takedown if there are no photos of it taken down.
But the Boss beat me to it.
CW

As promise, here are pics of the finished knife. (apart picture included for the non-believers ;))

To be honest and and not misrepresent my skill level, I included shots that show some of the obvious problems/errors. These include:
1) Misalignment of the scales (should have used a block)
2) Irregular grooving of the ferrules
3) Hole for the alignment pin in the top ferrule too close to the edge (shows through)
4) Gap/bad fit between blade and guard
5) Clip grind off centered
6) Irregular plunge lines

Of course there are other things that I am not happy but I see them as needing improvement compared to outright errors for the problems above. But I guess have to stop somewhere and move on to the next knife if I want to improve.

Blade length: 8" OAL: 14"
Grind: flat
Steel: 5160
Handle: Spalted Maple (stabilized)
Guard & fittings: Stainless Steel (304), mild steel (1018), copper

bowie_take_down5.jpg

bowie_take_down6.jpg

bowie_take_down7.jpg

bowie_take_down8.jpg

bowie_take_down9.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Pat,

Your progresssing by leaps and bounds ! It is difficult to swallow "mistakes" and move on but it seems you've got a handle on that. Each time I complete a knife I gotta have a come to Jesus meeting with it and forgive it it's flaws (more-so forgive myself for it's flaws) and move on.

-Josh

Wow, wow, wow!

The idea of making a take down scares the bejesus out of me! :D Looks like you did a great job. The copper works really well.

Thanks Stew. Actually, a take down is less scary for me as you can work on each individual pieces knowing that if you mess up you can throw it away. Makes sense?
If you ever try one, feel free to email me if you have questions. I'll provide what limited help I can.

Back