Has anyone ever thought of making bevel dies?

Thunter124

In the complete modern blacksmith, there is a jig made using a U shaped leaf spring to hold a top and bottom die on an anvil, allowing the smith to hold both steel and hammer. I was wondering if anyone had ever thought to make bevel dies for use in something like this, mostly just for a concave and flat bevel. What I was thinking would be too make a positive profile on the end of a rod about 2 inches long, shape it to basically what the final shape of the blade profile, with the edge dulled to a little less than an eighth of an inch. then using the positive make a set of negatives, and then clamp it into the jig and hammer out the knife. I could see making sets of different bevels of differing lengths and back profiles, and if all goes according to plan I will, but I would like to know before I do: has anyone else tried something like this before?

I've seen them for presses but I've not seen them for sale.

Gene Osborne showed forging in the bevels on a press in one of his videos. I'm pretty sure that he made the dies himself.

Doug Lester

I have started a set of dies for my Big Blu. I will give up dates as they get done. Bob Burgman showed a set when he was demonstrating at Quad State, each with a 7 degree bevel equaling a 14 degree bevel on the blade. He credited Jim Batson.

Back