WIP: My First Bowie

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I started this project a little over a week ago, but only have about three days work into this blade so far. After starting, I had to scrap the first blade and start over. I've really learned a new appreciation for those of you that make bowies look so good. With any luck, I'll have this one complete by Friday evening in order to make the drive back to Arkansas for the presentation Saturday morning.

Having to drill and file slots for guards and spacers is not only extremely time consuming, it flat out just sucks. My shoulder is killing me.

Steel: Aldo's 5160
Blade: 7" long and approximately 1 3/4" wide
Guard: Stainless
Spacers: 2 pieces of 1/4" stainless and 1 piece of 1/16" black paper micarta
Handle: Black Paper Micarta

Here are a few pics of my work thus far.

IMG_9975.jpg
IMG_1960.jpg
IMG_1839.jpg

Murph,
Can you send me that handy looking fixture for puttin the guard on. I'll give it back, someday.....

Looks great, I love that blade.

Steve:steve::biggrin::steve:

I can't send you mine Steve, but I can tell you who to contact in order to get one.

It's lookin' real good so far Murph . Stainless is tough and unforgiving when filled for the guard . What type are you using ? And what # blade is this for you ?

Bill,

This will be my first bowie to complete and only the fifth blade to be allowed to leave the shop, not counting the one I carry.

Steve,

I'll try to find the gentleman's name who made this. M.S. James Cook designed this particular jig though I know M.S. John Perry designed and makes one as well. I bought this one from "Cookie" at the Fall Hammer-In at the ABS School last year. This is my first time using it.

Last edited:
Don't you just hate it when your motivation hits you at bedtime? Well, that's what happened to me tonight. I found the problem that has been kickin my butt for the past couple of days. I was rather frustrated as to why my guard was not sitting 100% square on my shoulders after repeatedly measuring and filing to get everything just right. As it turns out, aparently my lighting is too dim in my shop and I overlooked something. I'm now hoping I can salvage the guard when I resquare everything tomorrow. It's amazing how just a couple or three thousands on an inch can tick you off and make you want to throw something through a wall.

Thanks for the call earlier Bill. I sat and thought about what we had discussed and decided to go to the shop and bring everything back over to my apartment to inspect it. I'll reset my file guide tomorrow and redo the shoulders.

Now that I know the source of my frustration and I have vented, I can go to bed now. Thanks for listening.

I informed my buddy that I wouldn't make the deadline. I could have made it, but I wouldn't have been satisfied with the results. I want this ine to be the absolute best product I can produce, so I'm going to take my time and make sure it is 100%.

Murph,
Can you send me that handy looking fixture for puttin the guard on.
Looks great, I love that blade.
Steve:steve::biggrin::steve:

Me too, Me too!!!! That's pretty cool, I wouldn't mind having a few pics of it ....you know, up close, real personal like as well as your source. I've never been one to make tools or anything really until I got into knife making, now I want to make all the jigs and tools I see that might come in handy, and that one there Mr Murph looks like it's spot on! BTW, I forgot to tell you I made my filing jig, with the carbide face, it was so easy a cavem..... I could do it! Although the next attempt will be more precise, the first one I left off the guide pins that I originally planned to include, got to working on it and tapping the holes (somehow a lummox like me actually tapped the holes with breaking the tap...Ok it was 3/8" tap, still didn't break it!) and forgot I wanted to have the guide pins, for the life of me I still see no reason in the world why these things cost 150 bucks! The total cost for mine was maybe 40.00, and it took me all of an hour to make. I didn't HT the A-36 I used, I figured this one would be the one I'd learned on, and it turned it to be pretty decent, maybe not exactley perfect, but good enough to draw a straight line! And of course none of my belts even scratch the carbide, it is totally sweet! Thanks, Bro', Rex

Back