Latest Project

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
Well, I should have scrapped this one as I made a massive esthetical mistake on it, but I liked the blade too much.

A few months ago my brother asked me to make a knife for him for a hunting trip so I designed this blade. With the requests he had made for a hunting knife, the design fell more into the "tactical class" as opposed to hunting. This was the first blade I made for the build and I sent pics to him right after HT. After seeing pics of the blade, he asked if I could make the blade a bit longer (yeah, no problem, I'll feed it some Miracle Grow and see what happens). So, off to the bandsaw I went with a new bar of steel and started all over.

When Clint returned from his hunting trip, he told me that his hunting partner loved the knife and said he would like to have one, only he would like the blade to be a bit shorter. Hmmmmm, that's too easy! I already have a blade HT'd. All I need to do is finish grinding, sanding, and put a handle on it. Unfortunately, in my haste I didn't realize that I had drilled the front bolt hole in the wrong place until it was too late. I had already cut weight reducing holes into the tang. I told my brother about it and he said not to worry about it, so here it is. With the exception of the front bolt placement, I'm extremely happy with it.

I only half finished the sheath as my brother's buddy has a leather worker in the family (his wife) and said he wanted a leather sheath. I left the kydex plenty big so that it could easily be cut to fit whichever configuration his wife chose to build the leather around.

Critiques are welcomed.

Steel: 5/32" 1095 Differentially HT'd
Handle: 4 1/2" Linen Micarta w/SS Corbies
Blade: 3 1/2" x 1 1/8"

RCF II-2.jpg
RCF II-1.jpg
RCF II-3.jpg
RCF II-4.jpg
RCF II-7.jpg

Well now. I think you've got the "real" dope on the knife already. Someone wanted one!
Outstanding Murph, really nice blade. Very straightforward, thumb ramp, jimping, good ergonomics on the handle, blade shape very functional,
as we say in South Louisiana "Good To Go!"
Well Done, Dozier

Looks good anyway Murph, as long as it cuts.
We've all been there. In that situation, I've welded in the tang holes, redrilled and reheatreated. On another I filled the hole with J-B weld and redrilled. Both seemed to have worked.

Rudy

I'll be honest. I feel like crap for letting this one leave the shop because of the mistake I made. I guess the only reason I let it go was because it wasn't marked and it was a freebie. The thought of letting it go has given me
a nauseus feeling ever since I left it. I'm thinking of calling my brother and telling him to send it back to me and I'll make another one. The problem is that I am swamped with work and orders (I've had three of these ordered for Christmas) and I have a bowie that I'm kinda lost on that must be delivered in Arkansas on Saturday morning.

Murph , How about you tell him you'd like to make him a new one after you get caught up ? That way , he has one till you're ready to re-make it . Then you'll be able to sleep at night ....

well murph i dont no about the other guys but i love a nife thats not perfect couse theres a story behind it and it makes it more personal to me if it doesnt hurt the using end he has a neat story aboute a great nife well thats my 2 cents its still a good looking user

Back