Carving started...

Eli Gautreaux

This is one for the Bolstered Hunter Killer I picked up from Jerry Hossom at Blade this year. I am waiting patiently in line to have the bolsters engraved (from a third party, not Jerry Hossom, lol)...

100_3949.jpg

Although it probably will not actually get carried, I thought I would go ahead and build a sheath. An engraved knife ought to have a carved sheath, right?

Here's what I got started today:

HossomEngravedSheath-1.jpg

Crappy cell phone pic, still wet, but you get the idea. It'll look better once it's antiqued. Now I just have to decide if the background ought to be textured or left plain...

Hi Eli, good to see ya bud. Great work, can't wait to see it done.Dave2thumbs

Thanks fellas!

Here's a little antique stain applied:

100_4314.jpg

I think I'll leave the background alone, texturing it would be overkill...

Eli,
Looking great man ! Keep that steady carving hand going while carving the back side ;)

I can't wait to this one done.
-Josh

I like it! :) The antique really shows off the carving.

Some texturing here and there would look awesome. cool 1

Since you still have to stitch and all,.. I think your right on this one,.. more detail would detract form the main design.

Eli;
That shows great talent...Who knew?? :D Just kidding looks great! can't wait to see the finished product. Keep the pics comming.

Paul

Great knife and love the carving.

But looks to me like your are to close to the edge with the carving no room for your stiching. But that may just be me?

Great knife and love the carving.

But looks to me like your are to close to the edge with the carving no room for your stiching. But that may just be me?

I'm definitely too close to the edge... Most guys will work within a predetermined border, and it can make for a very clean and finished look, IF you keep everything centered through the whole process...

I've beengoing broderless, and just letting the carving fall off the edges. It's a different look, some don't like it, but it looks good to me (this is a sheath for myself) and I don't have to worry at all about centering everything perfectly.

I did some more work on this one yeserday and may be able to finish it today, I'll post pics when done. :)

I wasn't criticing your work, like I said I like the carving.

((( some don't like it, but looks good to me.))) Thats me, I make what I like, and like what I make.

I'd like to see it finished. If it's anything like your knife it will look good.

I've done quite a few "off the edge" carvings before and I like the effect if its done carefully. Eli has the right idea in that only small parts of the carving should run off the edge, keeping most of it within the "frame".

I wasn't criticing your work, like I said I like the carving.

((( some don't like it, but looks good to me.))) Thats me, I make what I like, and like what I make.

I'd like to see it finished. If it's anything like your knife it will look good.

Hey bro, no offense taken whatsoever! And I'm always open to critique, it helps me get better.

I only make one or two sheaths per month on average, and only a handful of carved ones in a year, so I need all the help I can get 2thumbs

Here's a few completed pics:

100_4340.jpg

100_4343.jpg

I'm pleased with it, although I did learn a few things once again, so next time should be better (assuming I don't forget what I learned, lol.)

Eli,
I'm with Art on this one. Wasn't sure but was holding judgement till seeing the final product.

You really pulled it off ! It looks great IMHO.

-Josh

Back