Recommended Drill Bits?

seionage

are there any brand names of drill bits that people recommend? Or, will any American made bit(s) do?

Any tips or feedback? Any bits I should stay away from?

I've usually used elchepo (walmart, etc) bits.

Thanks!

for wood use 118 degree, for metal use 135 degree
split point drills tend to "walk" less when starting the hole
shorter drills (jobber or screw gun length) flex less and tend to wander less so they tend to drill a straighter hole.
there is a HUGE difference in drill bits and the additional cost for better drills are not just a way to charge more money.
depending on the material you are drilling
HSS (high speed steel) are generally the cheapest and least durable, cobalt (M4 with a little cobalt) are at the top end
carbide drills are for drilling hardened material and not suitable for everyday use as they are very brittle -- and expensive
a drill doctor is worth the money

that should get you started anyway..

Tracy pretty much covered it. I will throw in a second on the Drill Doctor....I'm on my 4th one (I've worn out 3 of them). I can still remember the first time I ever used a Drill Doctor...my Mrs. got me one for Christmas 96'....that afternoon I took it to the shop, and saved myself over $200 in drill bits..just in it's first use! I have no doubt that it has saved me thousands worth of bits over the years.
With the latest renditions of the Drill Doctor, I would highly recommend getting the top end one (model 750X) the lower end model is for small bits and very light duty only.

Back