Addicted to dovetails

jkf96a

I started dovetailing my bolsters about 6 or 8 knives ago. They're turning out good, don't think I'll go back to straight joints. I've been doing my dovetails on a disk grinder with a tilt table. How do you do yours?

I do mine on a square wheel grinder which has an adjustable flat platten. Do dovetails one way turn handle material over upside down and dovetails match.

I made myself a wedge of about 20 degrees and place on my FIXED table with a flat platen. I've used it for about twenty years, first on fixed blades and then when needed on folders. Frank

There was a guy that made dove-tailing jigs awhile ago and I picked one up. Awesome piece for getting it just right! I'll take a photo today when I get a chance.

Here's a recent one. I had to pick these from thumbnails, hope the dovetails show in this pic.
dscn0989-e1284932996323.jpg

I think dovetails are fantastic.

I use them on most of my folders. I set my tool rest in front of my flat platen to give me a 60 degree angle. I then grind both the front and rear bolsters. After they are attached to the liner, I then grind my handle material to fit. Then I slide it into place from the side.

60 degree works well for me since I can clean up any solder with a triangular file.

100612020458_img_0573.jpg

Johnny Roberts

Nice fit-up there Johnny. The ones I did in the pic above are also 60 degree. I've done some 45's as well, and they look good too. Any consensus as to which is preferred by collectors?

Back