Mirror Polished Blades?

Mconner

Do you guys price your knives with mirror polished any differently that a blade with a satin or bead blasted finish? I've been finishing up a knife for a customer and have spent way too much time getting the mirror polish just perfect. It's been a while since I've done a mirror polished blade and I guess I'd forgotten just how much work it is.

Mike

It does not take a lot of time if your technique is right to put a mirror finish on a blade.

If anything I think that a hand rubbed finish should be priced higher than a mirror finish because hand rubbed is all hand work.

George

George you have a very valid point ive been making razors and its all hand work and takes a long time to do I would have to say hand rubbed would be more money. kellyw

It does not take a lot of time if your technique is right to put a mirror finish on a blade.

If anything I think that a hand rubbed finish should be priced higher than a mirror finish because hand rubbed is all hand work.

George

Well then I guess my technique isn't quite right. :biggrin:
On a hollow ground blade it takes me way to long to get the hollow scratch free as I do everything above 220 by hand.

Mike

Maybe I'm missing something? but how are you getting a polished finish without first hand rubbing out all of the scratches then polishing? I really dont like polishing just for the fact that I can see scratches and it bugs the crap out of me:)

Before heat treating I remove all deep scratches then after heat treat I belt the knife with a 400 cork belt coated with green stainless steel cut and colour compound then buff.

It is amazing how many scratches the 400 cork belt will remove but you will have to stay with it until you cannot see any more scratches before going to the buffing wheel. Buffing should take no more than 5 or 6 minutes per side.

George

makes sence, I have always took the knife to 400 on the belt and then handsanded until it was cleaned up and polished. I will have to try to find a 6x48 cork belt:) lol switching to a 2x72 in a short while.

makes sence, I have always took the knife to 400 on the belt and then handsanded until it was cleaned up and polished. I will have to try to find a 6x48 cork belt:) lol switching to a 2x72 in a short while.

trugrit has a 6X48 cork belt but only in 800 grit.

Back