Hook-Eye cutlery grinder

Screwy Squirrel

Has anyone ever used one of these ? I got this one at a estate sale for $5 it takes a 1.5 x 24 inch belt 1/4 hp. they seem to be used for sharpening has a guide to adjust angle, runs really good. I have found several sources for the belts and they are cheap even for Norton belts. they still make them and a new one is around $500 . just wondered if anyone has one or had used one.:les:

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 92
Why don't I ever come across something like that when my wife drags me to an estate sale? I do good to find a ball peen hammer....

Mike

Wow!! 5 bux!!! Great score. I once ordered 1X? in very high grit for my friend Ed from a guy(?) off Ebay. I'm sure you can get whatever grit you want made up. Being it's an odd size

I've never used one myself but I'm pretty sure it's a nice little grinder for sharpening duty. I'm also pretty sure that it's meant to run the belt through water to keep things cool. Does it have a reservoir?

Wow, that takes me back a few years (OK maybe more more like a couple decades). We had one very similar to, if not the same as, that one at the meat market I worked at in my high school days. We used is to sharpen all our knives that were beyond what a steel could help with. With the rest adjusted where you wanted it (or should I say the store owner wanted it) it did make sharpening pretty quick and easy. Congrats on a great find. Let us know how it works for you.

No reservoir for water on this machine, but we've had a special belt made that stays cool. $4.00 each...can do up to 90 knives

Thank you very much for the info, I have used it a couple time now and it seems to be a good little grinder, great for the price !

George they are 1.5 x 24 I have gotten some 3x24 belts and split them down the middle so I was able to get them right down the road.:biggrin:

Back