Ringed Gamblers Bowie

lol,it ends with you sittin' on the front porch/steps with a nice cool beverage in hand,admiring all your good and hard work.:35:

Great looking shed Bruce, shouldn't you start a WIP thread for that too! :biggrin::3:

Eric

I thought about that but didnt want anybody else to experience muscle aches and pains like mine. I suggest hiring a professional young man to build yours. :)

Bruce,
I built one a few years ago and have a project (honey do or is it due) list as long as both arms so I feel your pain. I am in my early 40's and the body just does not work like it did when I was framing houses in my twenties...It thinks it should be able too though. LOL. Some how by the end of the day I am exhausted...and the next morning is a killer. Probably good advice to get a professional, I now a couple good contractors in Pendleton who work in Washington. :biggrin:

Eric

lol, I hear that loud and clear:
from the neck up I'm still 25,below the belt I'm still 16, but everything else is 46 goin' on 80...
:15:
:3:

Nice looking shed Buddy!!! Icould really use one of those at my house. I have been putting it off for the last year. As soon as spring rolls back around I really need to get it done.

That works for me. I'm never building another shed. I'm just plain out of shape for carpenter work. Just need to put shingles on, a few trim boards and paint. Oh, and wiring, insulation, lights, benches, stairs and front porch/ramp. Where does it end?

Haha, it hasnt ended yet mate, ya gotta fill it up now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, it hasnt ended yet mate, ya gotta fill it up now!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have all our junk stored in the garage next door. This little shed has a loft and I have a feeling it will be stuffed full upstairs. Kaye wants to use most of the main floor for a small wood shop. She wants to move in now and I dont even have wiring in yet. If I didnt have a show coming up it wouldnt be too bad but I may show up with one knife to sell at this pace.

Eric, You must live close to me if you know people in Pendleton. Come on down sometime.
Bruce,
I built one a few years ago and have a project (honey do or is it due) list as long as both arms so I feel your pain. I am in my early 40's and the body just does not work like it did when I was framing houses in my twenties...It thinks it should be able too though. LOL. Some how by the end of the day I am exhausted...and the next morning is a killer. Probably good advice to get a professional, I now a couple good contractors in Pendleton who work in Washington. :biggrin:

Eric

Bruce,
I would be greatful to come by sometime. I am in Sherwood just South of Portland so maybe a 4-5 hour drive. We have friends still in Pendleton. Heck years ago I had some construction projects in Pendleton and a girl friend in Walla-Walla. They are both good towns. I will be in touch though, wish I was free this weekend I would come help you with your shed.
Eric

I stopped and got a little help yesterday at Mr Bruce's shop. Thanks again Bruce.

A little up date on this blade. It's getting close and is very cool. I got to see the engraving up close and it really sets this one off. You guys who get to see it at the show are gonna love it.

Hope you get your computer fixed soon Bruce, looking forward to the finished pics. RS

Sorry guys for not adding to this thread. I ran into just a little problem, yes that does happen, with this blades heat treatment. I had a nice wavy line as planned from the beginning but when I was rubbing it out to bring the hamon visible it also started showing some unwanted hard spots apparently from have the clay too thin in those areas. I just didnt like the looks for them so I started over. I had used the last of my satinite and just went for a full hard blade with no clay at all. Believe it or not those pesky spots showed up again. I gave it a hand rubbed satin and took it to the Boise Show anyway. I didnt enter it into the handmade competetion because of the blade finish. Theres no hiding a improper heat treat. I did however make a deal with BladeGallery.com and promised to either do a proper heat treatment on it or replace the blade. I'm telling ya, the handle and guard with the engraving looks so good that if I have to its worth making an entire new blade for.
Every day is a learning experience. If you all werent such good friends I wouldnt fess up to this. On the other hand if a MasterSmith tells you he never screws up I think he is lying.
My good buddy Graham Fredeen is kind enough to send me some new satinite from his 50 pound stash so I can try it again. I foil wrapped it and annealed it already. The foil wrapping kept it from decarb/scaling and looks perfectly clean except for dark colored. Its a 100% finished blade so I cant afford scale and a deep regrind. Wish me luck or if you are a praying person, say a prayer for this blade.
I used the electric oven before and soaked the entire blade, this time I'm using the forge and heating just the exposed edge. Stay tuned

Hey Bruce sorry to hear the HT did not do what you wanted. I had the same problem with my first hamon and I did it in a electric oven and let it soak think that was the mistake, I annealed like you and did it in the forge and quenched when the edge was at temp and it turned out great. That was on the OKCA award knife that I did this year. Good luck on the redo got my fingers crossed for you.

Hi Mike, Thanks for that. Makes me feel better. This knifemaking adventure of ours is very exciting isnt it?
Hey Bruce sorry to hear the HT did not do what you wanted. I had the same problem with my first hamon and I did it in a electric oven and let it soak think that was the mistake, I annealed like you and did it in the forge and quenched when the edge was at temp and it turned out great. That was on the OKCA award knife that I did this year. Good luck on the redo got my fingers crossed for you.

Bruce you have a great attitude about this, which we will all take something away from. I wish you both all the best in your new HT.

Well, Heck, I kinda botched the new heat treat. I think it actually came out OK but it had a bent tip and it snapped about an inch off when I straightened it. Oh well its a shorter blade now and usable but not on this knife. I already have the sheath and have made a deal with Dan O'Malley for this knife. I'm making another blade, this time with a damascus blade. I havent had very good luck with W2 lately and dont want to repeat this foul up again.

If this new blade comes out good I'll post some shots of it, but if not I'm going to delete this thread and apply at McDonalds. I hear they're hiring.

...McDonalds needs a McKnifemaker?
mmm...McDamascus!
Make mine a McDouble,and Supersize it please!
:drool:
:biggrin:

I could convert all their cheap knives and spatulas to damascus ones if they dont fire me first. :les::biggrin:
...McDonalds needs a McKnifemaker?
mmm...McDamascus!
Make mine a McDouble,and Supersize it please!
:drool:
:biggrin:

Bummer, looking forward to seeing the new blade though. Don't do that Mc Donalds thing, they won't let the shopdawgs in.

Back