Ringed Gamblers Bowie

Hi Bruce!

Like Dave, I'm excited to see the pics for the handle. I used some of that W-2 you sent and it took a little bit of hand sanding and a few trips into the ferric chloride but the hamon did eventually pop nicely :).

Take care,
Dana

Bruce, once again your WIPs are a great inspiration and I look forward to each new post in each series. Thanks for sharing:)
Jim

Thanks guys!
I cant wait to see how the engraving comes out. The Koa wood handle is nearly finished now. Because it was stabilized it only needs a couple thin coats of Tru-oil to make it shine. I plan to show the blade sometime soon. I'm starting the hand sanding now, sorry for no pics of the forging and grinding but wasnt really planning to do a tutorial on this one. I've been eyeballing that Nick Wheelers newest hamons and lusting for something like that someday. I think this blade will be waves not clouds. I like both but have never gotten clouds. Big subject for time, temps, quenchant, quench speeds, clay, on and on. Results vary greatly but I would like to play and learn more about 1095. The W2 steel here is from world famous Don Hanson III and forged from a big billet.

A quick update. I just got off the phone with Jere Davidson and he is going to put on as many small "English Scrolls" as he can. I pretty much left it to him as he is has the engraving artistic license I cant wait to see what he does. Meanwhile I'm rubbing out the blade. About the end of next week it will be back.

Bruce,
Four days will that be long enough to turn wave hamon into cloud hamon, I think Nick takes a week or maybe a month to get those.:biggrin:
I really like the trigger guard effect and the overall handle shape. This looks to be another Bump special beauty can't wait.

Eric

I've been building a storage shed for the last 2 weeks. I sure miss my knifemaking job.

This wavy hamon may not even have any white wispy clouds. We shall see. Nick has his method and takes way more time in the final rubbing than I do. Carpel tunnel syndrome is something to worry about from spending hours and hours on rubbing out a blade. I should invent a special pair of re-inforced gloves that strap on to ease the pressure on my wrists. As it is now I sometimes sleep with a wrist brace at night.

I sure wish I lived next to you Bruce,
I'd have built that shed for you so you could spend more time with your knives.
I'm dyin' to see how that ringed beauty turns out!

Wolfie, thats huge of you. I could afford to fly you down here and feed ya for a couple weeks for all the money I lost by building a shed instead of knives. How are you with laying hardwood floors?
I sure wish I lived next to you Bruce,
I'd have built that shed for you so you could spend more time with your knives.
I'm dyin' to see how that ringed beauty turns out!

lol,I've done a few laminate and floating floors,
and a couple small hardwood jobs.
If you were doing tile,I'd be yer huckleberry;
I was a tile-setter for almost 5 years
(can't do commercial work any more though).

We remodled our bedroom 4 years ago and still walking around on particle wood floor. One of these days Kaye is going to beat me with a fry pan in my sleep.
lol,I've done a few laminate and floating floors,
and a couple small hardwood jobs.
If you were doing tile,I'd be yer huckleberry;
I was a tile-setter for almost 5 years
(can't do commercial work any more though).

We remodled our bedroom 4 years ago and still walking around on particle wood floor. One of these days Kaye is going to beat me with a fry pan in my sleep.

...4 years?...!!!
And you haven't woken up with a flattened forehead yet?
She must really love you!:biggrin:

Here is the shed almost finished. I cant believe how sore I am. I want to go back to forging and grinding so bad.

100_8310.jpg

Nice job!
You're a man of many talents Bruce.
(hey,when I'm relocated,and need a shed built, can I call you?...:nothing: :biggrin: )

hm...
well,how 'bout this;
when I'm situated,and have a forge set up,
you can come watch me build the shed and I'll watch you move some hot steel?:biggrin:

That works for me. I'm never building another shed. I'm just plain out of shape for carpenter work. Just need to put shingles on, a few trim boards and paint. Oh, and wiring, insulation, lights, benches, stairs and front porch/ramp. Where does it end?
hm...
well,how 'bout this;
when I'm situated,and have a forge set up,
you can come watch me build the shed and I'll watch you move some hot steel?:biggrin:

Back