have it working but...

SVanderkolff

Finally have a working automatic. I still need to heat treat and finish but it definetely works. The only question I have is when I open the blade it slams into the stop pin. Feels and sounds terrible. Not much I can do about this one but is there a way to control the force with which it comes to a stop. I still want the speed on opening but a controlled stop would be nice.
Thanks
Steve

Hi,you could use a dampener area using such material as an AR15 dampener? That's what I would look into first.

Are you using a coil or leaf kicker spring? If you are using a coil you can easily adjust it by changing the placement of the spring tag end in the blade or in the chassis. Fast action is fine but too much force opening is over rated and counter productive in the long run. Hammering open hammers every part of the knife mechanism and leads to premature failure.

If you are using a leaf just take out some of the tension.

In both case you should be able to adjust it somewhat by the pivot tension. A properly placed thumb stud, while unnessesarry on an auto, provides a larger area as a blade stop and firms up the blade if inletted slightly into the frame.

Back